Durham Sunday League: Dirham County step up bid to pip Burnside to title

Durham County maintained their title bid by edging a 2-1 win over Hilda Park in Division One.

Saturday, 5th May 2018, 8:30 am
Ironside Cup Final action as Plains Farm Alldec Over-40s (blue) take on South Shields Catholic Club. Picture by Tim Richardson.

After a poor Thursday night performance in a 4-2 defeat to Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars, Hilda enjoyed a dramatic improvement and were unlucky not to come a way with a point.

County had the majority of play but Hilda’s breaks kept them on their toes. Alex Hird and Robson Brown had County, fresh from a shock 1-0 loss at lowly Coxhoe Red Lion, 2-0 up before Chris Watson pulled one back.

County, two points behind leaders Burnside WMC, will go top if they win their penultimate match against New Brancepeth WMC this weekend.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Burnside WMC, with just one game left, proved too strong for Framwellgate Moor WMC, with Craig Ellison’s hat-trick inspiring a 7-1 victory.

Kyle McCullough (2), Max Stoker and Steven Macdonald also notched, with Adam Kitching replying.

Coxhoe Red Lion won 3-1 at Langley Park, who have completed their season and could finish bottom.

Stephen Snowball, Thomas Knox and Michael Hogg did the damage, with Matty Wilkie replying.

Promotion-seeking Chester Garden Farm handed out a mega drubbing to lowly Sedgefield SC in Division Two.

Ruthless Ryan Johnson weighed in with an incredible 12-goal haul as Farm ran out 22-1 winners.

Christian Loughlin fired four goals and Dan Johnson had a hat-trick, with Anthony Marsden, Jordan Gibson and Kieron Allison also on target.

Ouston Juniors came out on top 2-1 in an entertaining and close game against Lambton Lions.

Star man Scott Johnson put Ouston ahead after 20 minutes and they stayed in front until the hour mark, when Ross Mitchinson equalised.

Ryan Bell, though, headed the home winner, five minutes later. Cameron Arthurs stood out for Lions.

Ushaw Moor Cricket Club shared the spoils in a dramatic 4-4 draw with Grange Villa, after trailing 3-1.

Liam Mitchell’s penalty and a Micky Gray strike had Villa two up before Ushaw responded, but Gray intercepted a poor back pass to make it 3-1 for the visitors.

Ushaw equalised with a penalty, after a push by Jamie Govan, and a clinical strike after Nathan Armin mistimed a clearing header.

Alex Stebbings scrambled Villa 4-3 ahead, but Ushaw levelled near the end, despite claims for offside.

Mark English and Kane Collins both struck twice for the cricketers.

Dubmire earned a fine 3-0 victory at Bowburn, thanks to two-goal James Gardiner and Josh Hope, with Paul Coxon starring.

Pittington beat Whitehills 3-1, courtesy of Dylan Scotter (2) and Jon Hosler, with keeper Curry top man.

East Rainton stepped up their promotion push with a 6-3 victory at Lumley.

Stuart Bleanch (2), Callum Fletcher, Ollie Hotchkiss, Lee Gaunt and James Wood all netted, with Dan Jowett and two-goal Jon Cossar replying.

Rainton also demolished Sedgefield SC 9-1 on Monday and won 4-1 at Ushaw Moor on Tuesday, when Jamie Gregg struck for the hosts. Hotchkiss (2), Levi Scott and Wood notched.

A single point separates the top three of leaders Rainton, Garden Farm and Ouston.

Gilesgate Woodman Inn kept up their Third Division promotion surge with a 6-0 success at Quarrington Hill, their fifth game in eight days.

It was all but over inside 15 minutes, with Woodman two up though Dan Hatton and Kevin Kerr.

Hatton and Ian Brown extended the lead by the brealk, with a lovely strike by Richard Begg and a Kerr tap-in completing the rout. Luke Tinkler starred for Hill, Nick Gibson for Woodman.

Sacriston The Shoes eased to a 2-0 win over lacklustre Chester Park Inn.

Paul Burns made two superb first-half saves for Park, but James Marshall latched onto the loose ball to open the scoring on the restart, after Burns found a long-range shot too hot to handle.

Marshall added a second in a chaotic goalmouth scramble, despite the best efforts of Burns and Martyn Richardson to keep it out.

Witton Gilbert Club came from 2-0 down to thump Durham Buffaloes Head 7-3.

Buffs led after two defensive errors let them in, and they went 3-1 up after David Calcutt cut the deficit from a free-kick.

An own goal and a Calcutt penalty levelled matters by half-time, then Witton took full control, with Calcutt adding two more, backed by headers from Mick Hedley and David Lumley, to seal the deal.

Hetton Social Club lost 2-0 at Newton Aycliffe Navy Club, with Charlie Fowler and Anthony Harrison netting.

Hetton New Inn drew 3-3 with Bishop Middleham.

Ferryhill Community Hub strolled to a 12-1 win at Bearpark WMC, who had Micky Gibbons on target.

In midweek, Karl Powney (2), Brandon Finnigan (2), Damion Hope (2), James McCarthy and Matthew Kane earned Hetton Social an 8-2 success at Durham Buffaloes Head, with Sam Morris and Ben Mummery replying.

Houghton Town ran out 6-1 winners at Ouston Cherry Tree to leapfrog their hosts into fourth place in the Premier Division.

Clinical Houghton had two fine goals and a third from a defensive mix-up as they led 3-1 at the break.

Houghton’s superior fitness told in the second half, adding three more goals.

Ouston lost to Houghton in their penultimate game of the season. Josh Fryer hit Tree’s consolation, with Ryan Drummond their star man.

Pelton RAOB had to graft for a 2-1 win over impressive Chilton WMC.

Chilton’s goal was an excellent long-range effort from Steven Ferguson which nestled in to the top corner, but Cameron Nichol and star man Mark Peck gave Buffs the edge. Alex White was outstanding for Chilton.

Pelton beat Houghton Town 3-1 on Thursday, with Nichol and Scott Howe (2) striking.

Newton Aycliffe Huntsman kept alive their title challenge, moving five points behind Sherburn Village after a 1-0 win over old rivals Sedgefield St Edmund’s with a cracking John Jury strike, an unstoppable effort which hit both posts before crossing the line.

Pelton RAOB won through to the Durham Sport League Cup final with a 3-2 midweek victory at Burnside WMC, who had Gary Anderson and Elliot Cutts on target.

Meanwhile the date for Houghton Town’s cup final date has been confirmed.

Town will meet Pelton RAOB in the Ramside Hall Hotel Cup-Winners’ Cup final at New Ferens Park on Tuesday, May 15 (7.30pm).