Durham Sunday League: Burnside clinch promotion to the Premier in super style

Burnside WMC are celebrating promotion to the Premier Division.

Saturday, 21st April 2018, 8:30 am
Over-40s action between Mill View SC (red/white) and Darsley Park at Thompson Park last week. Picture by Tim Richardson

Promotion was clinched by a 5-1 midweek derby win at Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars, with Craig Ellison (2), Derek Kelsey. Max Stoker and Kyle McCullough notching.

They found life harder against third-top Hilda Park, who fought well for a 2-2 draw.

Burnside deservedly took a 15th-minute lead with Grant Craig’s low effort to keeper David Passmore’s left, but Hilda’s front two of Jonny Yip and Jamie Gordon worked tirelessly to spark the visitors, with Chris Watson going close to levelling.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Hilda equalised on the breakaway which saw Gordon fouled for a penalty which he calmly converted.

Gordon rounded keeper Richard Heiniger to quickly put Hilda 2-1 up. The visitors defended resolutely, but Burnside levelled late on, with sub Elliot Cutts firing high into the roof of the net from the edge of the box.

Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars won a thriller 5-3 against Bede Lodge SC.

Boar went ahead after 10 minutes through Jack Johnson, but Bede fought back to lead 2-1, capitalising on a couple of defensive errors.

Chris Rogerson cleared two goalbound shots off the line to keep Boar in it, and they equalised as Liam Lusk dribbled his way past three defenders to fire home.

Stern words at the interval fired up Boar for a much better performance in the second half. Lusk and Johnson scored again for a 4-2 lead and, though Bede replied, Jordan Rungen smashed his first ever goal to clinch Boar’s win. Daniel Mann (2) and Michael Kitching struck for Bede.

Durham County hammered luckless Langley Park 7-0, with a superb performance capped by a stunning five-goal haul from Robson Brown. Joe Kerry and Alex Graham also netted. Ryan Green shone for Langley.

New Brancepeth WMC won 2-0 at Coxhoe Red Lion, whose top performer was Michael Owen.

Slick Sherburn stepped up their Premier Division title push with a 7-2 defeat of Washington Cross Keys to stay eight points clear.

James Ellis opened the scoring on five minutes, but Keys soon levelled.

Andrew Chester restored Sherburn’s lead before the break and Scott Arnott made it three from the spot, after a foul on Ellis.

Jordan Sanders added a double, with Ellis and Jamie Taylor completing the rout.

Dan Smith and Phil Marriott netted for Keys, who were not happy with at least three decisions in the lead-up to Sherburn goals.

Ferryhill Dynamos stormed three up against Brandon Sports Club and ended up hanging on for a 3-2 win as Andy Morris and Michael Fort responded.

Vinny Gash (2) and Chris Devine netted for Dynamos.

Chilton WMC drew 2-2 with Sedgefield St Edmund’s after leading 2-0 with goals from Byron Brown and Kadam Parnaby.

Saints levelled from a penalty and a late 25-yard free-kick, both scored by Kevin Hodgson and both disputed by the hosts, who claimed a blatant penalty for them was rejected late on.

In midweek, Zak Sinclair, Kadam Parnaby and Byron Brown earned Chilton a 3-1 win over Brandon, who led through Corey Haslam’s excellent, low drive.

Cross Keys lost 2-0 to Ferryhill Dynamos despite an impressive performance, with a luckless, headed own goal followed by a last-minute Vinny Gash strike on the break.

Newton Aycliffe Huntsman won 3-0 at Sacriston CC, thanks to Corey Nicholson and a pair of crackers from Stuart Owen.

Dubmire turned on the style to rout Lumley 5-1 in Division Two, with Jack Liddle firing the consolation. Elsdon Thompson, Jordan Croft, Adam Elliott, Josh Hope and Ian Lucas did the damage.

Grange Villa drew 2-2 with Lambton Lions.

Ben Jefferson opened the scoring for Villa with a 30-yard screamer, but Lambton equalised a minute later.

Ryan Smith put Villa back in front, but, with only two minutes left, Lambton snatched a share of the spoils. Kenneth Dodd and Jamie Arthurs struck for Lions, with Andrew Jackson starring.

Chester Garden Farm overwhelmed Pittington 5-1.

Pittington started well# and looked the better team, but a penalty for Farm, converted by keeper Jack Wilson, saw them take control.

Ryan Johnson (2), Christian Loughlin and Anthony Marsden also struck, with Jonny Scott netting for Pittington, whose star man was Reece Jones.

Ushaw Moor Cricket Club’s hard work got their game on, and the team rewarded the volunteers with a close-fought 1-0 win over Lumley Snooker Club.

The game was lit up midway through the second half as Ushaw veteran Mark Burnham picked the ball up 30 yards out, he advanced a few yards then unleashed a low drive into the bottom corner of the net, with the helpless keeper rooted to the spot.

Ouston Juniors’ pace caused problems throughout for battling Houghton Chilton Lodge in a 4-0 home success.

Lodge did well as a tight unit for the first half hour, but losing possession in key areas cost them, with Ouston strikers, Conner Anderson and Scott Johnson, each bagging doubles. David Jackson was Lodge’s top man.

In midweek, East Rainton were beaten 2-0 by Chester Garden Farm, with Michael Williamson hitting both goals. John Adamson’s strike earned Whitehills a 1-0 victory over Pittington.

Lambton Lions thumped Houghton Chilton Lodge 6-0, thanks to Ben Goodwin (2), Kieran Dixon, Jack Young, Lewis Mitchinson and Cameron Arthurs.

Dubmire beat Grange Villa 3-1, with Thompson, Josh Hope and Jordan Croft on target. Mark Greener replied.

In Division Four, Durham Rangers defeated Sacriston The Shoes 5-3, inspired by Charlie Salicki’s hat-trick.

Durham were never at their best, but Kenny Wilks and Alex Hudson made it five.

Michael Jakeway and Jack McRobbie hit Shoes’ replies.

Chester Park Inn outgunned Bearpark 4-2, with Andrew Illingworth, Steven Haswell, Johnathan Dobson and Mark Swift all notching as they stormed four upand Aaron Bell starring. Dylan Crooks hit both replies.

Witton Gilbert Club shared the spoils with Hetton New Inn in a 4-4 thriller.

David Calcutt opened the scoring for Witton, but Hetton soon levelled.

Calcutt’s second goal restored the lead, only for the visitors to equalise again.

Calcutt completed his hat-trick and Chris Lambert added a fourth for Witton, but Hetton grasped a point with two late goals.

Ferryhill Community Hub ran out 4-0 winners at Quarrington Hill WMC. Charlie Fowler (2) and Anthony Harrison netted as Newton Aycliffe Navy Club edged Bishop Middleham 3-2, with John Cook and Jon Hornsby replying.

In midweek, Gilesgate Woodman won 10-0 at Witton Gilbert, with keeper Paul Reid’s saves denying the visitors an even bigger victory.

Navy Club celebrated like they’d won a cup final when they rescued a 3-3 draw against The Shoes in the final minute.

Bearpark crushed Durham Buffaloes Head 6-0, thanks to John Blake (3), Dylan Beveridge, Carl Brown and Liam Boughen.

Houghton Town had their dreams of glory dashed by Newton Aycliffe Huntsman, who edged a 3-2 semi-final win in the Castle Insurance Alan Smith Memorial Trophy.

Aycliffe took the the lead when Corey Nicholson sprang the offside trap after 20 minutes. Nicholson had a penalty brilliantly saved by Town’s keeper soon after, but Shaun Ryder netted the rebound.

Town deservedly got back in it with a strike from the edge of the box, then levelled when a cross was brought down superbly in the box and dispatched past the keeper.

Morghan Claydon, though, grabbed Aycliffe’s winner with 10 minutes left.

East Rainton saw off Premier side Ferryhill Celtic 2-0 to reach the final of the Durham Sport League Cup.

Pelton RAOB progressed to the semis by beating Ouston Cherry Tree 8-1 in midweek. Buffs are also through to the North West Durham Charity Cup Final.

They will meet Gateshead Belle Vue in the final at Birtley Town on Friday, May 18 (6.30pm).