Demolition work on fire-hit hotel to continue
Demolition work on a fire-hit hotel will continue on Tuesday following its dramatic weekend collapse.
Work has been ongoing to bring down the Harbour View Hotel, in Seaham, after it was ravaged by fire last year.
But on Saturday morning, onlookers watched in horror as the entire front of the building collapsed onto the pavement.
Emergency services were called to the scene, while North Terrace was closed to traffic. Nobody was hurt.
A spokesman for DP Contractors, who have been carrying out demolition work at the site, said the remains of the building had been evaluated and were safe and that work will continue after the Bank Holiday weekend.
He said: "The dangerous parts of the building have been removed and the demolition will progress, The building has been evaluated and is safe. Work will begin again on Tuesday.
Shaun Sparks was among those who saw the building collapse.
Speaking to the Echo, he said: “I was out on a Saturday morning jaunt on my road bike. It literally happened just before I rode past.
“I got covered in dust off the collapse. Apparently there was a couple that were just on the pavement as it happened. They were luckier.”