Woman walks free from court after glass attack

editorial image
Have your say

A SINGLE mum who left another woman scarred after throwing a glass has escaped a jail sentence.

Stevie Smith threw the glass at Chelsea Mills’ face, slicing the skin on her nose, after an argument between two groups of girls in a bar, Newcastle Crown Court heard.

Smith, 19, was out with friends at Arizona bar in Sunderland when a fight broke out between two girls from each party.

Bridie Smurthwaite, prosecuting, said: “An altercation started between two girls.

“Matters were triggered when one of the complainant’s friends ‘bumped into’ one of the defendant’s friends.

“After Miss Mills apologised, the defendant suggested that they go outside for a fight but Miss Mills declined.

“A drink was thrown over her, and thereafter the defendant threw a glass towards her.”

The victim, who was 18 at the time, turned her face and closed her eyes as the glass was thrown.

The court heard how the glass shattered when it was thrown.

She suffered a cut to the left side of the tip of her nose, which required six stitches,

Smith was identified to police outside the bar, and subsequently arrested and interviewed.

Ms Smurthwaite said: “In her own words, Smith had consumed ‘loads of alcohol’ on the night in question.

“On a scale of drunkenness, from one to 10, she gave herself a seven.”

In a victim personal statement, read out in court, Miss Mills said: “This incident has left me upset.

“I’m not a trouble maker and I do not go out looking for a fight. I feel scared and my self-confidence has been knocked because of the cut on my nose.”

Appearing in court, Smith, who is four months pregnant, pleaded guilty to one count of actual bodily harm.

Alec Burns, mitigating said: “She is not a young lady who goes out drinking often.

“She is a single mother and spends all of her time looking after her child. She is currently four months pregnant with another on the way.”

Smith, of Southwick Road, Sunderland, was given an eight-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, for the incident in January.

She was also given a 12-month supervision order and a five-month prohibition order preventing her from drinking in licensed premises.

Passing sentence, Judge Roger Thorn said: “The order I have given requires you to be adult and to grow up.

“You won’t get another chance like this.”

Twitter: @Sunderlandecho