‘We want to see someone pay’ – partner of soldier electrocuted in African hotel

John Marley died as a result of a freak hotel accident
John Marley died as a result of a freak hotel accident
0
Have your say

THE partner of a soldier who was electrocuted at an African hotel still wants answers almost two years after his death.

Sergeant Major John ‘Bob’ Marley was electrocuted after he touched a faulty lamp in a hotel room in Kenya in April 2013, an inquest heard last year.

Sgt Mjr Marley, 42, from Cotsford Park in Horden, was serving with the British Army Training Unit in Kenya when he and two colleagues took a long weekend of leave in Mombasa when the incident happened.

An inquest held in Crook last year heard a post mortem examination found electric current burns on one of Sgt Mjr Marley’s fingers.

Two people are believed to have appeared before Kwale County Resident Magistrate Christine Njagi in connection with Sgt Mjr Marley’s death.

The case was adjourned and will return to court on April 2.

At the inquest, Deputy Durham Coroner Crispin Oliver, recording a verdict of accidental death.

He said the incident was both tragic and poignant.

Now his partner of 11 years, Paula Wild has said: “We would like to see someone pay.

“Hopefully the court will see that.”