Washington man given two-year restraining order over contact with mother of his child
A Washington man has been handed a two-year restraining order after allegedly slapping the mother of his child.
Callum Smith, 23, of Serlby Close, Usworth, denied a charge of assault by beating and the case against him was dismissed at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court.
However, magistrates imposed the restraining order following an agreement reached by prosecutors and the defence.
The court heard his former partner, who he was alleged to have assaulted, wanted the order imposed and Smith did not oppose it.
Prosecutor Stephen Davies told the court that Smith and his former partner had been in a relationship “for a time” and had a son, now aged two, but had separated.
He added: “He went to their house and there was a dispute in the backyard. It’s alleged that he slapped her to the face, causing no great injuries. He was arrested and denied the assault.”
Sandra Fife, defending, said: “The alleged offence goes back to April last year, but in terms of the child, they’ve come on leaps and bounds.
“My client has said that whatever is asked for, he wants this over.”
The terms of the restraining order are that Smith, who was alleged to have carried out the assault on April 1, does not contact his ex, save for texts or emails in regard of the welfare of their child.
He must also not refer to her on social media, or go to any address which he is aware she resides at.