Violent partner imprisoned girlfriend for beating session in hotel room, court told

editorial image
Have your say

A WOMAN feared she would be killed during a terrifying hotel attack while she was locked inside one of the rooms.

Kevin Ashton-Taylor, from Sunderland, put one hand over his victim’s mouth and another around her throat after pushing her on to the bed during the violent ordeal which went on “for several hours”.

Newcastle Crown Court heard the woman was left in fear for her life after being hit and punched by the 52-year-old, who took her phone so she could not call for help.

It was only when Ashton-Taylor fell asleep that the woman was able to get out of the room and call the police.

Prosecutor Gavin Doig told the court the victim had travelled to Berwick for a short break with Ashton-Taylor in October and the violence flared when they returned to their hotel room.

Mr Doig said: “The complainant states the defendant became jealous and on returning to the hotel, ‘he went nuts’.

“He locked them in the room. He hit her in the face with a back-handed slap and made her nose bleed.

“He pulled her on the bed, put one hand over her mouth and another around her throat. She states she was in pain and panicking and in genuine fear for her life.

“She grabbed her phone and ran to the bathroom to call for help.

“The defendant punched her and took the phone away.”

Ashton-Taylor admitted false imprisonment and assault by beating.

He also admitted failure to comply with a sex offender 
notification requirements 
after failing to tell police he had moved from his home in 
Washington Street after he 
became the target of vigilantes when he was accused of another sex offence which he was later cleared of.

The court heard he was on the sex offenders’ register as a result of a conviction in 2007.

Andrew Walker, defending, said Ashton-Taylor had gone to live in a tent after he became a target for abuse.

Mr Walker said Ashton-Taylor is ashamed of what happened at the hotel.

Judge Robert Adams adjourned the case so Ashton-Taylor, who has been in custody on remand for eight months, can be assessed for his suitability for an alcohol treatment programme.

He was given bail until the sentence hearing next month.