Victim ‘cut from nose to chin’ in Sunderland pub attack

The Jolly Potter, South Hylton, Sunderland
The Jolly Potter, South Hylton, Sunderland
Have your say

A MASKED thug who sliced open a man’s face in a revenge slash attack has been jailed for more than four years.

David Lincoln “opened up” Aiden Barry’s face from the bridge of his nose down to the tip of his chin during the attack at a Sunderland pub.

David Lincoln

David Lincoln

It came after a decade-long feud between the two men, in which Mr Barry allegedly stabbed Lincoln in 2001.

Mr Barry was left with multiple slash wounds, sustaining a further four-inch horizontal cut above his lip and a five-inch cut to his chest.

Newcastle Crown Court heard that Lincoln arrived at The Jolly Potter pub, in South Hylton, just after 9pm.

Mr Barry spotted Lincoln outside while looking through a window at the pub and went to the entrance to meet him.

Lincoln, 34, was wearing a balaclava and attacked Mr Barry with a “roofing instrument with a bladed edge” inside the building, before the scuffle was separated by pub-goers.

As he was pushed out of the door by customers, the balaclava fell off and he was recognised.

Ros Scott-Bell, prosecuting, said: “Mr Barry is left with a great slash to his face, running from the bridge of his nose down to the top of his chin.

“In effect, his face is opened up. There is also a slash to the chest area which went down as far as the muscle.

“He also had a horizontal cut above his lip, which was four inches in length.”

Nigel Barnes, defending, said that the defendant had been stabbed by Mr Barry in an incident over a decade before.

He said: “In 2001, Mr Barry inflicted very serious injuries on Mr Lincoln, two stab wounds which left him on life support. Mr Barry is not a stranger to violence. He is a man who has been known to carry knives in the past.

“There came a moment when Mr Barry lifted up his top and presented a knife.

“When the confrontation started, it was drawn out.”

However, Judge Rodger Thorne rejected any suggestion of self-defence, ruling that Lincoln had set out with violent intentions.

He said: “He might have had it but it was never drawn, it was never taken from the waistband, it was never raised before you. It was never a case of self defence.”

Pub-goers phoned the police and Lincoln and Warwick were arrested after their movements were captured on CCTV cameras after they left the scene.

Lincoln, of General Havelock Road, pleaded guilty to unlawful wounding on March 17 last year.

Sentencing him to four years and three months’ imprisonment, Judge Thorne said: “There must never be any return from either of you from this ancient antique history – to this circle of violence.”