Tributes paid to victim Bryan Knox

Floral tributes left at the scene of the weekend murder in Washington near Usworth Hall.
Floral tributes left at the scene of the weekend murder in Washington near Usworth Hall.
Have your say

HEARTBREAKING tributes have been left to Bryan Jeffrey Knox who died following an assault at the weekend.

The 32-year-old was found with serious injuries on a lane leading up to the Usworth Hall estate in Washington on Sunday morning.

An air ambulance attended the scene before Mr Knox, who hailed from the Barmston area, was flown to Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary where he later died.

A post-mortem examination has revealed he died of pressure to the neck.

Gary Thomas Mawson, 36, of Washington, has now been charged with murder and is due before Sunderland Magistrates’ Court tomorrow.

A card attached to a floral display with “Son” on it which was left at the scene read: “My precious son Bryan.

“A mother should never have to say goodbye to her son. Broken hearts all round xxx.”

“You’re in my heart forever, all our love, Mam and Dave xxx.”

Another read: “To my precious Bungal.

“Gone but never forgotten. Love you always and forever, Laura and Andrew.

“Uncle Bungal, we love you.

“Wyll + Olivia Jayne xxx.”

Residents living close to where the attack on Mr Knox happened spoke of their shock.

A man who lives in Usworth Hall with his family, told the Echo: “My sister rang for the ambulance when they found him.

“It’s very, very sad.

“I know one of the kids of the man who has died and you really feel for him.

“At the end of the day a human being has lost his life.

A woman who lives in Wimpole Close and whose garden backs onto the lane where Mr Knox was found, said: “I saw the paramedics working on him but at first we thought it was someone who was out walking and had had a heart attack.

“It’s a bit worrying because we’ve only just moved here recently, but I wouldn’t say we are scared because this is a nice area.”

Another woman, who also lives in Wimpole Close, said: “We’ve had quite a shock over this.

“The only thing we heard was when the helicopter came down. Then a bit later we got told the man had died.”

Renewing an appeal for information, Detective Inspector Andy Fairlamb said: “We’re appealing for anyone who was in the area, anyone driving or walking past from about 10.30am onwards, who saw what happened, or anyone who has information about the incident to get in touch as soon as possible.”

Witnesses are asked to call police on 101 ext 69191, quoting reference 488 08/06/14, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Calls can be treated anonymously if necessary.

•A 36-year-old man was arrested and questioned by detectives on suspicion of murder.