Trial date set for Billy Charlton’s indecent images court case
A man accused of charges in relation to illegal images faces a trial by jury next year.
William Bernard Charlton, known as Billy, has indicated, through his legal team, that he will deny all four offences he faces.
The 55-year-old, of Seaham, County Durham, appeared before Sunderland Magistrates’ Court last month to face the claims for the first time.
His case was mentioned at Newcastle Crown Court today but Charlton was not required to attend the hearing in person due to current restrictions on the justice service during the Coronavirus crisis.
Richard Bloomfield, defending, who appeared at the hearing via video, told the court: "This matter is denied".
Mr Bloomfield said an expert may be instructed to give evidence at trial.
Judge Paul Sloan said Charlton had "indicated he will be pleading not guilty" and therefore a trial, which has an estimated length of two days, will take place on July 5 next year.
Charlton faces charges of possessing an extreme pornographic image portraying a person involved in a sexual act with a dog and possessing an extreme pornographic image showing an act which could cause serious injury to a person.
Charlton also faces a charge of distributing an indecent photograph/pseudo-photograph of a child and a charge of making an indecent photograph/pseudo-photograph of a child.
All of the alleged offences are said to have taken place in Washington between June 2018 and June 2019.