Teenage domestic violence victim still living in fear

Shannon Harvey
Shannon Harvey
Have your say

A TEENAGE domestic violence victim says she still lives in fear after being assaulted by her fiancé.

Shannon Harvey was left with a broken nose and a fractured jaw when her partner, Liam Foster, turned violent.

The 18-year-old says she’s scared to leave her home in case she meets her ex in the street, after he walked free from court.

Foster, 23, from Hendon, was charged with, and admitted, assault by beating on Thursday, May 8, when he appeared at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court.

He was given a 20-week sentence, suspended for two years, and made the subject of a restraining order.

He also had to pay £500 compensation.

The maximum sentence is six months and a fine of up to £5,000.

Miss Harvey, an administration apprentice, believes the sentence was inadequate and says she, as the victim, is suffering more.

She said: “He’s walking the streets, but I’m scared to.

“I don’t know what to do. I haven’t been out of the house since then because I’m scared that I’m going to bump into him.”

“As soon as I got the phone call to say he had a two-year suspended sentence, I just broke down into tears.”

Miss Harvey was left with a broken nose and a fractured jaw from the attack.

She first met Foster, now of Boldon Lane, South Shields, at a house party when she was 17.

The pair entered into a relationship in October last year, and moved in together in Houghton.

Magistrates heard Foster launched his attack after returning home from a drinking session.

He grabbed his teenage partner by the throat and punched her in the face, then told her to tell police her injuries were caused by an intruder breaking into the house.

Sarah Guest, prosecuting, said: “He had gone out to Green Baize Pool Club on Boldon Lane, South Shields, at 7.30pm.

“He came back at 2.10am saying he had won a pool tournament and told his partner to make his tea.

“She said they would talk in the morning.

“He became angry and pushed her onto a bed and grabbed her by the throat.

“He punched her in the face and there was a splatter of blood from her nose.”

Dan Pygall, defending, said: “My client is disgusted by what he has done.

“He is so ashamed of his actions, he wanted to plead guilty straight away.