A man facing a burglary charge will be locked up until his trial – after a hat-trick of bail breaches.
Lee Mulholland was put on an electronically-monitored curfew ahead of his date in the dock at Newcastle Crown Court next month.
The 35-year-old has now been remanded in custody until his court appearance after breaking the curfew three times in less than two weeks.
Mulholland, of Trent Drive, Jarrow, denied the final breach when he appeared before South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
The court heard he was away from his home address for ten minutes, between 11.10pm and 11.20pm on Saturday, August 8.
Mulholland claimed he had been at his home at the time and pinpointed a technical fault with the monitoring equipment.
He had previously breached the curfew on both July 27 and July 30 but had been rebailed on both occasions.
But magistrates found the breach proven and decided to remand him in custody until the court date on September 21.
Gary Fothergill, prosecuting, said: “He is subject to an electronically monitored curfew from 9pm until 6am each day.
“He was found to be outside of the address at 11.10pm.
“This is the third breach of the curfew.
“The crown’s position is that he should be refused bail.”
Jeff Taylor, defending, said: “I would suggest he could be rebailed with the conditions he reports to South Shields Police Station once or twice a week.”