A TEENAGER from Wearside who used Twitter to mock those killed in the Glasgow bin lorry tragedy last month has been cautioned by police.
The 19-year-old was arrested after sending an offensive tweet about the city just hours after six people died when a refuse lorry ran them over in George Square on December 22.
The man handed himself in after the tweet he posted – “So a bin lorry has apparently driven in 100 people in Glasgow eh, probably the most trash it’s picked up in one day” – received an angry backlash.
The tweet, from an account called @RossLoraine, was later deleted, along with the profile of the person said to have posted it.
Northumbria Police said today that the man has been handed a caution for making a malicious communication.
Readers took to the Echo’s Facebook page to condemn the content of the tweet.
Among them was Neil Foster, who wrote: “He’s made a serious mistake and should be punished.
“Don’t tarnish the whole of Sunderland because of one idiot.”
Kelly Cawthorne wrote: “How can someone even make a joke over this!!! It’s heartless.
“I hope his family don’t ever have to go through any heartache pain like these families involved in the accident. Disgusting.”
Erin McQuade, 18, and her grandparents Jack Sweeney, 68, and Lorraine Sweeney, 69, from Dumbarton, were killed in the disaster, as well as teacher Stephenie Tait, 29, tax worker Jacqueline Morton, 51, both from Glasgow, and Gillian Ewing, 52, from Edinburgh.
It is thought the driver may have fallen ill at the wheel as he travelled up Queen Street, causing the bin lorry to strike a pedestrian outside the Gallery of Modern Art.
The truck continued, hitting several other people and coming to a halt only when it crashed into the side of the Millennium Hotel in George Square.
A spokesman for Northumbria Police said: “A 19-year-old man has been given a caution for making a malicious communication.”