Sunderland star Titus Bramble pledges to ‘vigorously contest’ sex attack claims

Sunderland's footballer Titus Bramble leaving Middlesbrough Police station.
Sunderland's footballer Titus Bramble leaving Middlesbrough Police station.
Have your say

SUNDERLAND footballer Titus Bramble plans to “vigorously contest” accusations that he sexually assaulted two women.

The 30-year-old Black Cats star will appear in court after he was yesterday charged with two alleged sex attacks.

The defender has also been charged with urinating in a public place.

Bramble left a police station in Middlesbrough at about 11am yesterday after being told he would appear before magistrates in relation to the charges on November 10.

The footballer was first arrested in Yarm, Teesside, in the early hours on Wednesday, September 28, after an incident was reported to police.

He was released on bail after questioning but it has since emerged that he was re-arrested on Friday, October 14, on suspicion of another sexual assault, after a second allegation was made to police.

Bramble was initially also arrested over possession of a Class A drug, a charge which has now been dropped.

The star’s lawyer Phil Smith, from Tuckers Solicitors, today said: “My client vehemently denies these charges and will be vigorously contesting them.”

An SAFC spokeswoman said: “Titus Bramble is training independently at present and is not involved in any first team duties.

“This will remain the case, pending the outcome of club investigations.”

The 30-year-old former Ipswich Town, Newcastle United and Wigan Athletic player was suspended by the club after his arrest last month.

At the time, manager Steve Bruce criticised the player for going out the evening before he was due in for training at the Academy of Light.

Sunderland had been beaten 2-1 away at Norwich City the day before, a game in which the former England Under-21 international had played the full 90 minutes.

A spokeswoman from Cleveland Police confirmed: “A 30-year-old man from Wynyard has been charged by police with two counts of sexual assault and urinating in a public place and will appear at Teesside Magistrates Court on 10th November.

“The man was arrested in the early hours of Wednesday 28th September on suspicion of sexual assault and possession of a Class A drug.

“He was re-arrested on suspicion of sexual assault on 14th October after a second allegation was made.

“He has been released with no further action on suspicion of possession of a Class A drug.”

Twitter: @davidallison88