Sunderland shirts and phones stolen by raiders

editorial image
Have your say

TWO shoplifters stole goods worth thousands of pounds from Sunderland shops.

Peter Stead and Daniel Mould stole mobile phones worth more than £1,000 from Sainsbury’s off Wessington Way.

Stead, of Salem Hill, Hendon, pleaded guilty to two thefts at Sunderland Magistrates’ Court.

The court heard he already had a suspended sentence hanging over him when he went into the store with an accomplice and stole 11 mobiles phones, worth £1,860, before fleeing through a fire escape.

Glenda Beck, prosecuting, said staff noticed the two men acting suspiciously at about 12.45pm on November 4, before noticing the phones had disappeared.

Heroin addict Stead was also responsible for stealing SAFC shirts worth £1,300 from the city’s Debenhams store.

CCTV showed the 30-year-old going into the store with a large empty bag and leaving with it filled.

When he was arrested, Stead asked for the theft of £200 of razors blades from Wilkinson to be taken into consideration.

Police recovered 12 of the Sunderland tops and one mobile phone from Stead’s home.

He told them he was paid £120 for the stolen phones, but could not remember how much he made from the razor blades.

Defending Stead, Gerry Armstrong said: “It depends whether the court thinks his chances have run out.”

Magistrates decided to defer sentencing for three months.

Fellow thief Mould, also from Sunderland, also admitted his part in the theft from Sainsbury’s and possession of class B drugs.

The court heard that amphetamine, cannabis and mephedrone were found at his home in Claremont Terrace

Mould, 21, said he sold the phones and gambled the money away, but refused to reveal who bought them.

Mrs Beck added that he had been charged with possession of cannabis four times since June 2011, and was subject to a 12-month community order.

Defending Mould, Susan Grey said he had been made homeless and was in and out of work.

“He needs an anchor in his life. He has the support of family and friends, but does need to pin down a place to call his own and a job,” she said.

“He is a very young man who is capable of working out his problems and is seeking to resolve them.

“Please accept his apologies for his behaviour on that day.”

Mould was sentenced to a total of eight weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months, and must carry out 100 hours of unpaid work.