Sunderland pub attack left man with 'deeply unpleasant injuries' from his own glass

A man who attacked his friend on a night out has avoided prison.

Monday, 17th February 2020, 4:11 pm
Updated Tuesday, 18th February 2020, 10:34 am

Adam Otty, 28, floored the man, causing him injuries to his chest and neck, at a pub in South Hylton, Sunderland.

Newcastle Crown Court heard how the victim landed on his own glass, causing the wounds on November 17 2018.

Kevin Wardlaw, prosecuting, played CCTV footage to the court which showed the victim being shoved to the ground by Otty at around 11:20pm.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Adam Otty

Mr Wardlaw said: "It is really unclear to the crown quite what caused this offence to occur."

Jamie Adams, defending, said: "He is thought of as a gentle creature."

As Otty sat in the dock crying, Mr Adams said: "He has been like this, crying, throughout interview.

"That is how it affects him because he cannot believe that he did something so horrible and the injury that it caused.

Newcastle Crown Court.

"They knew each other from having mutual friends really.

"It was an immediate expression of sorrow and regret."

Mr Adams told the court that Otty and the man had since gone for a drink together.

He said Otty had been drinking at the time of the attack, something that he has "struggled" with, but has now curbed.

Otty, of Torrens Road, Sunderland pleaded guilty to unlawful wounding at an earlier hearing.

Recorder Craig Hassall described Otty’s actions as ‘an utterly cowardly act on a man considerably smaller’ than him.

He said: "I accept that you are remorseful and from what I see of you this morning you are.”

Mr Recorder Hassall said it was a "single blow" which caused the "deeply unpleasant injuries" which were "suffered by the complainant falling onto his own glass which shattered, cutting him significantly to his chest and lesssignificantly to his neck."

Otty was sentenced to nine months in prison, suspended for one year.

The judge said there was a “realistic prospect of rehabilitation” in Otty’s case and he did not “appear to pose an immediate risk or danger to the public”.

Otty was ordered to pay £500 compensation to the victim, £100 in court costs, ordered to complete 150 hours unpaid work and rehabilitation requirements.