Sunderland Olympic boxing hero Jeffries’ sister beaten up

Lucy Jeffries, sister of boxer Tony Jeffries, who was attacked at the Quayside Exchange in Sunderland.
Lucy Jeffries, sister of boxer Tony Jeffries, who was attacked at the Quayside Exchange in Sunderland.
Have your say

THE teenage sister of Olympic boxing hero Tony Jeffries was beaten unconscious at an under-age night.

Lucy Jeffries, 15, was left with a catalogue of horrific injuries including two black eyes, a bloodied nose, swollen cheeks and bruises on the back of her head.

The Farringdon School pupil had been enjoying a night out with pals at an over 15s night at the Quayside Exchange in High Street East when the assault happened.

She said: “Practically my whole face is bruised. I was knocked out for a few minutes, but I could still feel her punching me in the face.”

Professional boxer Tony, 26, pictured left, who is Sunderland’s only Olympic medallist, said he was horrified when he saw his little sister’s injuries.

He said: “It was horrible, I’ve not seen a boxer’s face in the state hers was in. I posted a picture of Lucy’s face on my Facebook page because I want mams and dads to realise what can happen at these underage nights.”

Lucy had been on the dance floor when she says a friend of hers accidentally bumped into her attacker and apologised.

Mistaking Lucy for the girl who had knocked into her, she carried out a sustained and unprovoked attack on the teen, knocking her to the ground.

After the attack on Thursday night, Lucy, from Silksworth, spent the night and most of the next morning in hospital as doctors examined her face and carried out x-rays.

She said: “I remember waking up after the attack and my friends were all with me.

“I was told the girl had been kicked out, but a bouncer walked over, looked at me, and walked away again. No one called an ambulance. Thankfully, my injuries were not as bad as they could have been.

“My friends took me home and when my mam saw the state of my face, she was devastated.

“She called my brother and his girlfriend Sarah and they took me to hospital and stayed with me.”

Lucy says she had not had any alcohol on the night, confirmed by hospital tests, but that her attacker may have been drinking.

She said: “They were serving alcohol there, but were asking for ID. I’ve spoken to police who’ve said they are going to examine the CCTV footage.

“I’m just waiting for them to get back in touch.”

It is believed the venue had been hired by an events promoter to stage the teen party.

• A 14-year-old was arrested in connection with the incident. She has been bailed pending further enquiries.