Sunderland nuisance caller laughed in court over terrifying threats to kill victim

editorial image
Have your say

A SERIAL nuisance caller laughed out loud when a court heard details of how he threatened to kill a woman in terrifying late-night phone calls.

Sakkir Choudhury would pick a mobile telephone number at random, then change the last two digits before issuing chilling threats to whoever happened to be at the other end, Sunderland magistrates heard.

The 29-year-old already had 23 convictions for similar offences, when he admitted sending a communication conveying a threatening message for the purpose of causing distress or anxiety.

Prosecutor Lee Poppett said Choudhury’s latest victim was a woman in Exeter, Devon, who started getting calls from a withheld number in the early hours of January 29.

In one, he told her: “I’ve been watching your house and I’m going to kill you.”

“She received a number of calls of this nature with variations on this particular theme,” Mr Poppett said.

The woman continued to receive calls from a withheld number which did not answer, until February 1, when again Choudhury was on the other end issuing threats to kill her.

Later that morning the woman’s boyfriend answered her phone, the court heard.

On asking Choudhury who he was, he was also threatened with death.

Police were called and Choudhury was traced to his home in Beechwood Street, Thornhill, Sunderland, where he was arrested.

The victim said in a statement: “This incident has shocked and scared me. The male was very aggressive in his manner, and he made me feel unsafe in my own home.

“It has affected my daily life. I worry about coming home to an empty house and walking home alone. I was fine before I had these phone calls.”

Choudhury laughed in the dock as he heard details of the offence, but then started sobbing loudly as defence solicitor Willie Johnstone put forward his mitigation.

Mr Johnstone said: “He accepts what a traumatic effect this must have had on the injured party. She must have been terrified.

“He was feeling extremely low and that’s when he makes these totally random calls. He doesn’t pick on any particular person, he chooses a number at random, then changes the last two digits. He has been to jail for this type of offence before.”

The bench adjourned the case for a pre-sentence report to be prepared and he will be sentenced on May 6.