Sunderland man ‘mentally affected’ by crash ordeal caused drink-drive chaos during police chase

SPARED JAIL: Mark Wallace from Silksworth, Sunderland, after his crash ordeal in 2010.
SPARED JAIL: Mark Wallace from Silksworth, Sunderland, after his crash ordeal in 2010.
Have your say

A MAN who suffered horrific injuries when he was dragged along the road under a car has been spared jail, after causing a multi-vehicle crash.

Mark Wallace suffered severe skin loss to his scalp, face and leg and a fractured spine when he was trapped under the body of a Renault Clio and pulled 13 metres along the road in 2010.

The driver of the Clio was jailed for 16 months and Wallace faced months of grafts and surgeries to repair his catalogue of injuries.

At Newcastle Crown Court yesterday Wallace, 25, was given a suspended prison term after causing drink-drive chaos during a police chase last November.

Prosecutor Stephen Thornton told the court Wallace had sped away when an officer approached his vehicle on foot in Silksworth – and smashed into three cars.

Mr Thornton said: “The defendant put his vehicle in reverse and reversed away.

“The vehicle collided with the front of the police car and the defendant then continued to reverse at speed. He caused damage to two further vehicles.”

The court heard Wallace made off along Warwick Terrace and drove at more than 60mph along Blind Lane, which is a 30mph zone.

He finally brought the car to a halt at Tunstall Road.

Wallace admitted he had had six cans of lager and had “panicked” when he spotted the police, while he was moving the car.

Wallace, of Quarry Road, Silksworth, admitted dangerous driving, driving with excess alcohol and failing to stop when requested.

He admitted an unrelated harassment charge after pestering his ex-girlfriend after their break up.

Jamie Adams, defending, said Wallace struggled to cope after his injuries were caused.

Mr Adams said: “Since the accident, which involved him being run over by a car, he had to give up his job, a very good job.

“He had a good record of employment up until that point.

“Those injuries prevented him from continuing to be able to work.

“It affected him mentally too.”

Mr Adams said nobody was injured during Wallace’s bad driving.

Judge Deborah Sherwin sentenced Wallace to 12 months imprisonment, suspended for two years, with supervision, a three-month curfew and two year driving ban.

The judge said: “You panicked and decided to drive away.

“You reversed into a police car and hit two other cars then drove dangerously for a period of time.

“You were the victim of a serious accident and I am told your problems have stemmed from that.”