Sunderland man ‘lucky to be alive’ after his lungs were punctured in revenge stab attack by rival

Court story
Court story
Have your say

A STAB victim was knifed twice in the back in a terrifying revenge attack by a rival.

Both of Kieron Flynn’s lungs were punctured by 20-year-old Richard Morrow, causing him to lose six pints of blood and leaving him in need of life-saving hospital treatment.

Newcastle Crown Court heard if the 22-year-old victim had been older or less fit, he “would not have survived” the ordeal.

Mr Flynn had avoided a third blow, which had been aimed at his head, by ducking out of the way of the knife.

The court heard the men, who had known each other since they were children, had fallen out after Mr Flynn accused Morrow of burgling his home in the weeks before the attack.

Morrow, of Harelaw Drive, Roker, Sunderland, denied wounding with intent, but was convicted by a jury after three hours’ deliberation.

He denied he was involved in the burglary or that he used any violence on Mr Flynn, and claimed he was wrongly blamed for the attack because the victim and his friends did not like him.

After his conviction, Mr Recorder Williams paid tribute to neighbours and medical staff who helped Mr Flynn after the attack.

The judge said: “The victim owes his life to the neighbours, emergency services and those who helped him.”

Morrow was remanded in custody and will be sentenced next month.

The judge said: “According to guidelines, the starting point for cases of this matter is in the order of 12 years.”

The court heard the attack happened when Morrow turned up at a flat which Mr Flynn was visiting on August 16.

Prosecutor Jonathan Devlin said: “The defendant stabbed the victim using a large kitchen knife and caused life-threatening injuries.

“He stabbed him not once, but twice, both in the back, causing each of his lungs to be punctured.

“He lost two and a half litres of blood, approximately six pints, and required immediate intensive medical care to save his life.”

Mr Flynn managed to stagger out of the property after he was attacked, but collapsed nearby where neighbours rushed to help.

In court, the victim said he had been told Morrow had burgled his home by a man he caught riding his bike, which had been stolen during the raid.

Mr Flynn said Morrow found out he was being blamed, but said he had nothing to do with it.

He said when Morrow turned up at the house on the night of the stabbing, things were “all right” at first.

But, he said, Morrow then launched an attack where he was repeatedly punched.

He added: “He picked up a knife and stabbed me.

“It was 12 inches long. It was a big kitchen knife, straight edged.

“He missed me the third time. He just missed my head with the third one, I managed to get past.”

Mr Flynn said there was “lots” of blood after the attack and he was in hospital for four to five days.