Sunderland man in court after pulling down pants and rubbing bottom on shop window after row with shopkeeper

A Sunderland man has been hauled before a court for showing distasteful bare faced cheek to a shopkeeper – by pulling down his pants and rubbing his bottom against his window.

Sunday, 1st December 2019, 2:03 pm
Updated Monday, 2nd December 2019, 10:30 am
The case was heard at South Tyneside Magistrates' Court.
The case was heard at South Tyneside Magistrates' Court.

Dean Coates, 31, who was already shirtless, committed the act after first entering Rajib Singh’s store in Ettrick Grove, Barnes Park, while heavily drunk and causing harassment by putting his arms around him.

After being told he was not a welcome customer, Coates, of Aldenham Tower, Silksworth, who was known to Mr Singh, was persuaded to leave by his girlfriend - and took down his trousers once outside.

South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court heard Coates then threw an object at Mr Singh’s Range Rover, causing £30 of damage.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Prosecutor Jeff Taylor described Coats as “extremely drunk” when the incident happened at around 3.30pm on May 16.

Mr Taylor said Coates, who has 18 previous convictions from 25 offences, put his arms around Mr Singh and made a remark about burning his shop.

And he said it was entirely possible other people outside the shop may have had chance to see the front of Coates’ body on passing.

He added: “While it as unpleasant and rude to Mr Singh, there doesn’t appear to be any sexual motivation. He was just trying to be offensive to Mr Singh.”

Chris Wilson, defending, said: “In May this year, the defendant was having horrific alcohol problems.

“There was a heated dispute with the shopkeeper. He has no recollection but wholly accepts his involvement. He is turning his life around. He is looking to the future.”

Coates pleaded guilty to charges of exposure, criminal damage, and causing harassment, alarm or distress.

Chairman of the magistrates’ bench John Lee said: “We don’t think there’s any particular sexual element here.”

In sentencing, they ordered Coates be put on an electronically monitored curfew, from 8pm to 8am, for two weeks consecutively on the charges of exposure and causing harassment, alarm or distress.

There was no separate penalty for causing criminal damage, but he was ordered to pay Mr Singh £30 compensation.

He must also pay an £85 victim surcharge, but there were no court costs.