Sunderland man attacked ex-girlfriend on the Metro – then assaulted her new boyfriend

editorial image
Have your say

A MAN hit his partner during a row then assaulted her new boyfriend.

Liam Foster, from Hendon, Sunderland, left the woman with cuts and bruises after they argued over a telephone call.

The 22-year-old went on to assault her partner when they clashed on the Metro.

At Sunderland Magistrates’ Court, he pleaded guilty to two offences of assault.

Janice Bellamy, prosecuting, said the pair had been in an on/off relationship for three years and had a 12-month old child, who was not in the house at the time.

The police had been called out several times, and Foster’s girlfriend had obtained a county court order against him, but he had stayed at her house a number of times in February and March.

After arriving in the early hours of February 13, the couple began rowing later that morning, as Foster claimed he had overheard his victim talking about him on the phone to her mother.

Mrs Bellamy said: “He said she had sent horrible messages to his friends, and they were both on the sofa arguing when he lunged towards her.

“He used his right hand to grab hold of her throat and started to squeeze, causing her vision to become blurry. She scratched his hand in self-defence and shouted at him to get out, but he grabbed her throat and pushed her down on the sofa.”

Foster and the woman kicked out at each other, before she tried to leave and he pushed her to the floor. A neighbour called the housing project which owned the home, who contacted police.

Foster, of Marion Street, was arrested and pleaded guilty on the day of the trial.

The court heard that the second assault took place on April 22, when Foster headbutted his ex’s new boyfriend.

The attack was captured on the Metro’s CCTV and in a statement read out to the court, the man said he was left feeling “upset and frightened” by the assault.

Peter Thubron, defending, said Foster was now in a new relationship, was on the waiting list for a job at Nissan, and there had been no more problems. He also claimed Foster’s former partner’s boyfriend had provoked him before the assault.

“He was goading my client, and that would appear on CCTV. I have asked for the CCTV on a number of occasions, and it is not here yet.

“This man was saying things about what he had to do about the break-up of his relationship, and that was very sensitive to him.”

Magistrates imposed a 12-month conditional discharge with 150 hours’ unpaid work and a 12-month restraining order, banning him from contacting the two victims. Foster was also ordered to pay £150 towards court costs, a £60 victim surcharge, £120 compensation to his ex and £80 to her partner.