Sunderland glassing victim: 'I was left looking like a monster'

Have your say

A DEVASTATED dad said his two little girls thought he looked like a “monster” after a glass was smashed into his face during an unprovoked attack.

Colin Branton was assaulted for no reason as he enjoyed a night out at The Queens pub in Ryhope, with his partner.

Newcastle Crown Court heard that after Blaine Gilby thrust a glass into his face without warning, Mr Branton suffered wounds to his forehead, cheeks and nose and needed an operation to repair damage to his tear duct.

His injuries have improved since the bloody attack, but it is feared he will be scarred for life.

Prosecutor Stephen Thornton told the court: “In a victim impact statement Mr Branton said his daughters were very upset when they saw his face.

“His four-year-old thought he looked like a monster and his youngest child was crying constantly.

“After the attack the family moved in with his partner’s parents because he didn’t want to return home.

“He is very conscious of his facial scarring and would avoid leaving the house.

“It is in their contemplation to move away from the area.

“He has given up sports because he doesn’t wish to aggravate his injuries.

“He sought more of an apology and understanding as to why he had been attacked rather than asking to exact retribution through the courts.”

Gilby was arrested after his fingerprints were found on pieces of the broken glass used in the attack.

The 23-year-old, of Hewitt Avenue, Ryhope, admitted wounding with intent.

Judge Brian Forster jailed him for five-and-a-half years.

The judge said: “This was a shocking offence in my judgement. It was committed against a totally innocent member of the public who found himself in effect at the wrong place at the wrong time.”

Gilby had also pleaded guilty to an unrelated charge of assault after he beat up a man in the street in December 2010.

And he admitted possession of a small amount of cannabis and diazepam found at his house during a raid three days before the street assault.

Jamie Adams, defending, said Gilby has cut down his drinking and sought help to tackle his anger and problems that lead to his offending.

Mr Adams said Gilby, who was on a suspended sentence when he committed all three offences, has not been in trouble since the attack on Mr Branton last February.

He added: “He has taken steps to remedy his bad behaviour by undertaking courses and counselling.”