Sunderland dad-to-be jailed after Facebook knife fight

editorial image
Have your say

A DAD-TO-BE has been jailed after taking part in a knife fight organised on Facebook that saw a woman’s stomach slashed.

Reece Senior had a bread knife at the brawl between two sets of rivals, including men and women, in a Sunderland street.

The 20-year-old threatened to stab others who tried to step in when one woman slashed another with a Stanley knife, causing an eight-inch wound.

The gangs arranged to meet in Chester Road on March 29 on social network site Facebook.

Prosecutor Donald McFaul told Newcastle Crown Court: “They met outside one of their houses for a fight.

“They had agreed via Facebook to fight one on one.”

The court heard as the violence erupted, one woman slashed another across the stomach with a Stanley knife, causing an eight-inch wound.

Senior, of Pitcairn Road, Pennywell, had armed himself with a bread knife at the start of the trouble and had warned “stay where you are or I will stab you” when others stepped in to try and stop the violence between the two women.

He pleaded guilty to having a bladed article and was jailed for six months.

Judge Brian Forster QC told him: “You made a threat with the knife as other people were present and clearly this was a real situation of danger.

“The courts have a clear duty to deter people from carrying knives and introducing knives into situations such as this.”

The court heard one of the men who had gone along to the fight said he had felt “scared to walk the streets” after what happened.

Senior, whose girlfriend is due to have their baby in December, wiped away tears as he was led away to start his sentence.

Kevin Smallcombe, defending, said Senior sees the impending birth of his baby a “milestone” in his life.

Mr Smallcome added: “The situation could quite easily have got further out of hand.

“The situation was not of his making, to some extent his involvement, while significant, was peripheral.”

The two women, aged 20 and 17 at the time but now 21 and 18, who were involved in the fight were arrested at the time before being released without charge by police.