Sunderland dad knocked out Newcastle fan’s tooth in derby day scrap

editorial image
Have your say

A DAD-of-two punched a rival football fan as tempers flared before a derby clash.

Anthony Lauderdale hit the man so hard a false tooth fell out and his glasses flew off, a court heard.

The attack took place as Sunderland and Newcastle fans confronted each other outside the Stadium of Light, on October 21.

A group of Black Cats fans had been unable to get into the ground before the game kicked off.

Tempers flared as rival Magpie supporters taunted them.

Former Caterpillar worker Lauderdale, who is divorced with two daughters, approached David Rowe and hit him once in the head.

Police spotted the assault and immediately arrested Lauderdale, of Naisbett Avenue, Horden.

Prosecutor Glenda Beck told Sunderland Magistrates’ Court that Mr Rowe, who suffered a burst lip, was not wearing a NUFC strip or colours and was at the game with his son and nephew.

Unemployed Lauderdale admitted to Probation Service officers he had been a “bad lad” in the past.

Magistrates were told he suffered two strokes in 2010 and now takes seven different tablets several times a day.

Defending, Jaxon Taylor, said Lauderdale and his fellow Sunderland fans were angry as they had not been able to get into the Stadium of Light before the high-profile match kicked off.

And that his client also admitted drinking five or six pints before carrying out the attack, despite being warned off alcohol by doctors.

Mr Taylor added: “There was an extremely large number of Sunderland supporters, who due to difficulties at the turnstiles, could not get into the game before kick-off.

“They were not given any information by the club and they were extremely frustrated.

“A group of Newcastle fans which had not been led by the police appeared, and it is correct to say they were goading and shouting at the fans.

“Mr Lauderdale accepts he temporarily lost control and struck one of the Newcastle supporters.

“He calmed down and told the officer at the scene he regretted doing it.”

Magistrates imposed a three-year football banning order on Lauderdale, and ordered he pay his victim £200 compensation and £85 in costs to the court.

Twitter: @janethejourno