Sunderland dad caught driving while banned for the FIFTH time after buying car for his son's birthday
Christopher Ronald Stoker, 46, of the city’s Roker Avenue, admitted driving whilst disqualified and without insurance when he appeared before South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court.
Lorna Rimell, prosecuting, said at around 5.25pm on January 17 he was stopped by police in the city’s Hay Street and checks showed he had no insurance and was a disqualified driver.
She said Stoker has three previous convictions for drink driving and four for driving whilst disqualified.
Neil Hodgson, defending, said the defendant works as a self-employed valeter in the city.
He said: “He bought this car for his son from one of the people who work in the garage.”
Mr Hodgson said it was Friday afternoon and he was driving the car home a very short distance away when he was stopped.
He said: “He thought his ban was up. He took a chance not to insure it. It was for his son’s birthday present.”
Mr Hodgson said there was no indication of any bad driving or that he had been drinking, it was just a spot check and he said Stoker apologises to the court.
A spokesman for the probation service said Stoker’s last ban was given to him in October 2017 and was to last for 40 months.
She said he struggles with reading and writing and was in special education from primary age.
However, she added: “It certainly doesn’t impair his ability to understand the rights and wrongs of an offence like this.”
Stoker was banned from driving for 18 months and given a 12-month community order with 100 hours of unpaid work.