Stranger attacked Sunderland clubber with a home-made weapon

editorial image
Have your say

A WOMAN was injured by a stranger who followed her through a city centre with a homemade weapon after bouncers refused her plea for help.

Rachel Miah told door staff she was concerned about Wayne Kilty’s behaviour after he pestered her and her friend on a Sunderland night out, but they would not get involved.

Newcastle Crown Court heard Kilty then tailed Miss Miah through the dark city streets as she made her way to meet up with pals at a nightclub – which turned out to be closed.

During a terrifying confrontation with 31-year-old Kilty, he cut Miss Miah’s hand with a dentist’s toothpick, which had a modified easy-grip handle.

Kilty, of Stafford Street, Sunderland, admitted common assault and threatening with a blade or pointed article.

Prosecutor Amanda Rippon told the court: “The male had followed her and her friend and was trying to talk to her. He was jumping around and appeared agitated.

“Miss Miah got sick of the male and approached doorstaff at a nearby establishment and told them what was happening but they would not do anything.”

The court heard Miss Miah and her friend went to another bar, while Kilty followed and repeatedly tried to approach them, before she headed off alone to the nightclub.

Miss Rippon added: “She was aware the defendant was following her and ended up standing in a doorway.

“The defendant was standing in front of her and she tried to push him away.

“At that point he said to her ‘who are you going to get? I’ve got a knife’.

“She saw he did have a bladed object in his hand. She was terrified and pushed him away and as she did, she felt a scratch to the back of her left hand.”

The court heard Miss Miah fled as quickly as she could to a nearby bar, as Kilty continued to follow, and this time bouncers kept her safe until the police arrived.

Kilty was arrested and admitted he had downed 10 pints of lager that night.

Mr Recorder Singh sentenced Kilty, who has been in custody on remand since the incident on January 2, to six months behind bars, suspended for 18 months, with supervision and alcohol treatment.

The judge told him: “You followed a young lady about town and caused her no end of alarm or distress, such that she sought refuge from various bars and doormen.

“You can’t go out, get drunk and behave in this way.”

Jamie Adams, defending, said: “It is bizarre behaviour in the extreme and I accept that.”