Son jailed after distressing stalking campaign against Sunderland mum

editorial image
Have your say

A BOOZE addicted son breached a court order banning him from contacting his mother just hours after it was made.

Dale Younger is now behind bars after subjecting his mother to a campaign of stalking.

Sunderland Magistrates’ Court heard on Friday how the 22-year-old turned up at his mum’s Sunderland home and her work place in the city centre, demanding she hand over cash.

Younger, of no fixed address, admitted stalking, involving serious alarm or distress, and an unrelated charge of criminal damage, for throwing a brick through the window of a house.

He was released after Joanne Gatens, mitigating, told magistrates he needed help with his alcohol addiction.

Younger was given a 18-week suspended prison sentence and ordered to stay away from his mother.

But the next day he turned up at Jacky White’s Market where she worked and was re-arrested.

Younger appeared back at the city court on Monday after spending the weekend in police custody.

John McGlone, prosecuting, said how Younger’s mother was at work when she was approached by a man who told her Younger “wanted a word out the back”.

“She saw him come into the market and beckon her over and said ‘mam, come here please’ and put his hands together in a prayer movement.

“She told him no and that she was going to call the police.”

At 7.05pm, police saw Younger standing outside his mother’s home in Pallion.

He was arrested and told officers: “She better not live in that house when I get out, I mean it.”

He claimed he had nowhere to stay and was going to ask his mother for money to pay for a bed and breakfast.

Ms Gatens claimed Younger was “desperate”. “It is a significantly aggravating factor that an order was in place for less than 24 hours,” she said.

“He was released from custody on Friday and had no money.

“He went straight to the council officers to try and arrange some accommodation, but by this time it was too late for him to apply for benefits.

“He went to his grandparents’, but they started to argue, so he left rather than making the situation worse.

“He was desperate. He was pleading for help. He did not threaten her and left when she said no.”

District Judge Helen Cousins ordered Younger serve 18 weeks for each breach of the restraining order.