Soldier attacked man outside Sunderland club

editorial image
Have your say

A SOLDIER attacked a man he believed had assaulted his girlfriend.

The disturbance broke out when Dean Beattie lashed out at the man outside Passion nightclub in Sunderland, in the early hours of Sunday, March 17.

While the victim ran off and did not report the attack, it was captured on CCTV and police were called to the area and arrested Beattie, from Farringdon.

The 20-year-old pleaded guilty to threatening behaviour at Sunderland Magistrates’ Court.

Prosecutor Paul Anderson told the court CCTV operators monitoring the city centre saw a brawl outside the club in Holmeside at 5.15am.

An altercation was taking place between the defendant, his friend and an unknown man.

Mr Anderson said: “What is described as a haymaker punch is then thrown by the defendant, hitting the victim on the head and he walked off.

“The defendant’s friend launched himself over the railings at the side of the road and kicks the victim.

“He starts to kick the victim but slips and almost falls over.”

Mr Anderson went on to describe punches being thrown at the unknown victim, some connecting, before he eventually walked away.

Beattie, of Aldwych Sqaure, was arrested and told police he had set about the man after he was involved in a confrontation with his girlfriend.

“He said he went a bit far, but if he was in the same situation again, he would probably do the same thing,” Mr Anderson added.

Susan Grey, defending, said Beattie was a serving solider based in Ipswich, who came home on leave every three weeks to see his partner and 13-month-old son.

They had been out with friends when trouble flared.

She said: “He accepts that he hit him and it was not just one punch.

“The person he hit left the area and has made no attempt to contact police.

“He was extremely angry on his girlfriend’s part and had been drinking and in effect took the law into his own hands.”

Beattie, who has a previous conviction for assault dating back to June 2011, was released on unconditional bail until April 30, while a pre-sentence report is prepared.