Seven arrested after yob attack on Wearside police station

Washington Police Station
Washington Police Station
Have your say

SEVEN people have been arrested after an attack on a Wearside police station, which left an officer injured and a patrol car burnt out.

A gang of yobs torched a vehicle and hurled missiles at Washington Police Station, at about 3am yesterday.

A window was smashed at the building, behind The Galleries shopping centre, and an officer was injured by flying glass.

He was taken to hospital, but released after treatment for a “minor injury”.

The gang fled the scene after local neighbourhood officers were called in to help their colleagues.

Two men, aged 17 and 19, were arrested yesterday in connection with the incident.

A further five men have now been arrested, aged between 17 and 24.

All seven are helping police with their inquiries.

Today, Northumbria Police and politicians condemned the attack, but were quick to play down fears of any further violence.

The force stressed the Washington incident was “isolated”.

A spokeswoman said: “This appears to be an isolated incident and at present we have not received any further reports of disorder.

“We are however prepared for all eventualities and will respond quickly and firmly to any incidents of disorder or criminal damage.”

Sharon Hodgson, MP for Washington and Sunderland West, said: “While an isolated incident, this attack is completely unacceptable.

“Our local police officers make significant sacrifices and do a fantastic job in keeping our communities safe and any attack on them is completely unjustified.

“I hope the injured officer makes a speedy recovery and that the vast majority of sensible, law-abiding young people in Washington and Sunderland will stand with the rest of the community against any violence against people or property in our area.”

Firefighters from Washington station attended the blaze.

A spokeswoman for Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service said: “We can confirm that two fire engines from Sunderland West Fire Station, in Washington, attended a car on fire in Washington.”

Bosses at The Galleries said there was no damage to the shopping centre.

Police chiefs said the North East has not seen the same trouble that has hit other parts of the country.

Dave Pryer, temporary assistant chief constable of Northumbria Police, said: “We have not experienced the type of widespread disorder seen elsewhere in the country, however it is important that we continue to plan and prepare as a contingency.

“We continue to operate a 24/7 dedicated operations room at police HQ to coordinate both the requests we are receiving from other forces whilst ensuring we retain sufficient resources within the force.

“We are confident that we are capable of responding to any eventuality.”

Twitter: @sunderlandecho