Serial killer confessed to Sunderland schoolboy death to ‘help’ himself, court hears

STEVEN GRIEVESON ... showed no sign of mental health problems, the jury heard.
STEVEN GRIEVESON ... showed no sign of mental health problems, the jury heard.
Have your say

SERIAL killer Steven Grieveson broke two decades of silence about his involvement in the death of a schoolboy to “help” himself, a court heard.

Jurors were yesterday given an insight into the mind of the quadruple killer, who claimed to have opened his heart during a meeting with detectives last year.

The 42-year-old already stands convicted over the murder of three teenagers during a four month killing spree in 1994 and 1994.

He denied involvement in their deaths during his trial but told detectives during the meeting last year he was responsible.

Grieveson, however, refused to give details on what exactly he did to his victims.

He told police: “I just don’t want to talk about it, I have been convicted and I just don’t want to talk about it.”

During the confession the killer gave a detailed description of what he did to Simon Martin, but insisted he did not mean for the youngster to die.

He said: “I just wanted to threaten him but it got out of hand.”

Grieveson said he “lost himself for a couple of seconds” during the attack on Simon and said he “freaked out” when he realised what he had done.

He told detectives: “I was more mad with myself than owt else because of what had happened.

“I felt bad, I felt bad for him and myself.

“I didn’t mean to kill him.”

Grieveson, who first got into trouble with the police when he was 11 and has been arrested for offences including burglary, possession of drugs and driving while disqualified, has been grilled by detectives about his involvement in Simon’s death over the years but has always kept his silence.

It was in January last year, during an interview at a police station in Leeds, which was held at his request, he confessed to killing the schoolboy.

When asked why he had kept quiet for so long he said he could not “move forward” without revealing what happened.

He said: “Mental health problems and things like that you know, that has caused a lot of it.

“I was frightened of being in the papers or bringing everything back up. I didn’t want the hassle, you know.”

When asked if he intended to help himself with the revelations, he said: “Yes, and help the family.”

Grieveson claimed during his confession to have been a glue-sniffer since the age of 11.

And he told police he had an addiction to sniffing glue which meant he needed to take it every day - including the day he killed the schoolboy in Sunderland.

Grieveson, formerly of Roker Avenue in the city, was convicted of the murders of David Hanson, 15, David Grieff, 15, and Thomas Kelly, 18 after a trial at Leeds in 1996.

Grieveson had burnt the three teenagers’ bodies in a bid to cover his tracks during the four month murder spree between November 1993 and February 1994.

During the discussions with detectives last January the killer said he had been sniffing glue on the day of Simon’s death and had been a user since he was just a boy.

He told police: “I was on glue that day, I done it every day, every single day, I sniffed glue from the age of 11.

“I took glue that day, I had been on it since 6am. I was addicted to it, I was sniffing Evostick.

“You can ask any of my brothers, sisters or mam, they will tell you.

“I was addicted to it, I had to have it every day.”

Grieveson denies Simon’s murder on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

The trial continues.