Raiders behind bars after lockdown attacks on golf clubs

Two raiders are behind bars after exclusive golf clubs suffered tens of thousands of pounds worth of loss and damage in pre-planned attacks during lockdown.

Friday, 17th September 2021, 4:37 pm
Robert Wall

The elite Close House, Chester-le-Street and Ponteland golf courses were targeted in April last year, when the country was in the grip of the first wave of the Coronavirus pandemic.

Newcastle Crown Court heard a burglary gang used specially bought cars and vans to target the courses and steal valuable merchandise, trophies and clothing.

The raids caused devastation during already troubled times.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

John Croft

Prosecutor Graham O'Sullivan told the court the Close House at Heddon on the Wall, Northumberland, came under attack on April 2 when the club house was ram-raided.

Around £16,000 of property was taken and £6,000 damage was caused.

Mr O'Sullivan added: "In total, an estimated £50,000 had to be spent on improved security measures and insurances."

The court heard Chester le Street Golf Club was targeted three days later.

Geoffrey Croft.

Mr O'Sullivan said: "Two men carried out the burglary, breaking into the club house and using a hammer to smash a trophy cabinet and take trophies."

The court heard the historic trophies were worth around £12,000 and many of the items had a sentimental value to the club and its members.

Some of them were later recovered after they were found in the River Wear.

Ponteland Golf Club was targeted on April 12.

Mr O'Sullivan said the raiders had bought a flat bed truck earlier that day and added: "It was reversed into a wall of the golf shop, causing extensive damage, £20,000 in equipment and merchandise was taken.

"The damage caused was in excess of £5,000."

The court heard John Croft, who was one of the raiders, and another man were also seen acting "suspiciously" around Morpeth Golf Club but it was not burgled.

Today, Robert Wall, 32, of Stamfordham Road, Newcastle, who had admitted being involved in one burglary and two offences of handling, has been jailed for two years.

His barrister Jamie Adams said Wall, a former soldier, has "made progress" since his involvement in the offences and "hardly ever drinks now".

Croft, of no fixed address, who was brought up in Newcastle and Jarrow, admitted conspiracy to burgle.

He also admitted dangerous driving in a transit van in Newcastle, which he rammed into a police car and injured an officer.

Croft admitted blackmail and having an offensive weapon after he took a £50 taxi ride then told the driver he would not be paying, while armed with a knuckle duster.

And he pleaded guilty to two charges of affray and one of having an offensive weapon after he and his brother Geoffrey Croft, 31, turned up at a house in

Sunderland on April 28 last year because the sibling said he was owed money.

John Croft was jailed for a total of seven years and ten months.

Geoffrey Croft, of Chaplin Street, Seaham, admitted two charges of affray.

Jonathan Pigford, defending John Croft, said the serial criminal had "lost his way" when he carried out the offences, which lacked "sophistication" and didnot involve any intention to cause injury.

Robin Patton, defending Geoffrey Croft, said although the brothers share the same surname and father they were brought up separately.

Mr Patton said Geoffrey Croft stays out of trouble, has a good work record and his brother had gone to live with him after his last release from prison.

Geoffrey Croft was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment, suspended for 21 months.