Police launch investigations into racist abuse and a security breach at Wembley following England’s Euro 2020 defeat
The Metropolitan Police have launched multiple investigations following England’s Euro 2020 final defeat against Italy at Wembley Stadium.
Officers are investigating after a number of England’s players received racist abuse following the penalty shootout defeat against Italy as well as a security breach at Wembley Stadium which saw fans storm through barriers and into the ground on Sunday, July 11.
Footage posted on social media showed people forcing their way through barriers and a line of security staff before rushing up the escalators.
After initially denying that there were any security breaches, a Wembley Stadium spokesman admitted on Sunday that a “small group of people” had made it into the stadium without tickets.
Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka all failed from the spot on Sunday night as England went down on penalties.
A mural honouring Rashford, following his campaign to feed schoolchildren, has also been vandalised with graffiti in Manchester.
Prince William took to Twitter to condemn those racially abusing some of England’s young stars, he said: “I am sickened by the racist abuse aimed at England players after last night’s match.
“It is totally unacceptable that players have to endure this abhorrent behaviour.
“It must stop now and all those involved should be held accountable. W”.
The Metropolitan Police said 45 arrests had been made while policing the event across the capital, with 19 officers injured.