Police bungle ruins couple’s holiday

George and Madeleine Taylor, of Blackfell, Washington.
George and Madeleine Taylor, of Blackfell, Washington.
Have your say

A HORRIFIED couple found themselves frogmarched by police from an airport departure lounge just minutes before jetting off on their summer holiday.

George and Madeleine Taylor were preparing to board a plane to Bulgaria when a mix-up led to officers arriving and arresting Mr Taylor in front of fellow holidaymakers.

The 39-year-old was taken from Newcastle International Airport to a nearby police station, forcing the couple to abandon their holiday plans.

Mr Taylor, of Blackfell, Washington, was told there was a warrant out for his arrest stretching back to October last year when he was accused of breaching an injunction made against him in North Wales.

But the case had been dismissed by magistrates at the time and should not have been on the police national computer.

Mr Taylor spent the next seven hours, until at 3.30am, at the Etal Lane Police Station in Newcastle until he was finally released when his solicitor arrived with the paperwork proving his innocence.

Mrs Taylor, 40, said: “I felt totally embarrassed and humiliated at the airport.

“When you’re standing in the middle of an airport about to board the plane with hundreds of people round you, it feels so degrading.”

The couple, of Thirlmoor, are now looking to take legal action against North Wales Police – who failed to have the charge taken off the national database provided to all airports – in a bid to claw back the cash wasted on the holiday.

“We’ve lost out on a holiday,” Mrs Taylor said. “We’re on benefits and can’t afford to go on another holiday now. We spent ages budgeting for this and we’ve lost every penny.

“We’re totally devastated because my husband suffers from cystic fibrosis and we try and go on a holiday every year to give him a break and something to look forward to.

“This is just one big cock-up and we’re furious so we’re taking legal action against the police.”

Northumbria Police said they made the arrest on behalf of North Wales Police.

A spokeswoman from North Wales Police said: “We are still investigating the circumstances surrounding this.”