Police bodyworn camera captures moment of ex-footballer Paul Conlon's arrest over fatal attack on his dad before he becomes violent with officers

Bodyworn footage shows the moment intoxicated Paul Conlon is arrested for the attack on his father which would lead to the death of the much-loved grandfather.

Thursday, 15th July 2021, 4:04 pm
Updated Thursday, 15th July 2021, 4:04 pm

The ex-Sunderland and Hartlepool player was told by Mrs Justice Lambert at Newcastle Crown Court he had a “promising first start in life as a professional footballer” up until the age of 20 and had gone on to run businesses with some success before turning to drink 17 years ago.

The court heard that coincided with the birth of his daughter with health problems, with a series of convictions dating back to 1996, including battery involving his partners and two incidents of driving with excess alcohol.

When he was arrested on suspicion of assaulting his father Harry, 77, on Christmas Eve last year, he had a bottle of wine in his pocket, with the court told he would drink up to three bottles a day.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A still from an officer's bodyworn footage of the moment Paul Conlon is arrested for the fatal attack on his father by Northumbria Police.

It shows how he tried to leave officers to get changed out of the bloodstained clothes worn as he launched the fatal blows which would lead to his dad’s death three weeks later.

He then becomes abusive and violent, leading police to restrain him before being led out of the home, decorated with Christmas lights, to a van in snowfall.

As he was checked into cells, he threatened to rape the wives of officers, the court was told.

A custody shot released by Northumbria Police of Paul Conlon and an image from the Sunderland Echo archives, showing him in action for Sunderland's youth team after moving from Hartlepool United in 1996.

Read More

Read More
Sunderland killer's dream Hartlepool United debut helped clinch Premier League m...

Following the hearing today, Thursday, July 15, Detective Chief Inspector Jane Fairlamb said: “Every death is always a tragedy but this was an especially sad incident that has ruined many people’s lives.

“Paul’s actions that day, while under the influence of alcohol, have had irreversible consequences and have caused a huge amount of pain and anguish.

“I hope this case acts as a serious reminder to everybody about what can happen when you throw a punch.

"Paul made a choice when turning to violence and sadly that decision has had heart-breaking consequences.

“There is absolutely no place for violence in our communities and we will continue to use all tactics at our disposal to ensure perpetrators are brought before the courts.”

Support our journalism and subscribe to this website to enjoy unlimited access to news, sport, retro, daily puzzles and more online.

With a digital subscription, you can read more than five articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.

Click ‘Subscribe’ in the menu to find out more and sign up.