Petrol bomb threat thug beat up teenager near Sunderland skate park

editorial image
Have your say

A TEENAGER was attacked as he was walking home from a Sunderland skate park in broad daylight.

The 16-year-old had been to the skate park at Downhill Sports Complex with a group of friends, when he was set upon by Anthony Taggart, 29.

Sunderland magistrates heard how the victim and his friends had stopped in Keighley Avenue to talk before going their separate ways, just before 5pm on June 9.

Prosecutor John McGlone said: “The injured party saw a male walking towards him asking ‘what’s your name?’, before punching him in the face, which knocked him to the ground.

“He repeatedly punched and kicked him in the face and head several times.”

The boy pulled his jacket over his head to protect himself as he was lying on the ground, but Taggart punched him again, the court heard. The teenager suffered a lump to the front of his head, a bloody nose and a sore wrist, and his £50 jacked was ripped.

Taggart, of Sandringham Road, Roker, was arrested on July 17, and was picked out by his victim in an identification parade.

He admitted assault and was also in court for breaching a restraining order, for which he was convicted after a trial.

Taggart had, on September 26, gone to his ex-partner’s house and demanded to see his child, despite being banned from doing so.

Taggart, who appeared to be in drink or on drugs, threatened the woman that he would petrol bomb her house.

Jason Smith, defending, said Taggart had been concerned about youths hanging around the shops, whom he claimed had abused his father.

A report from the probation service said Taggart only accepted slapping the victim, not punching or kicking him.

It added that Taggart had “no real sympathy” for what he had done and “suggested it was deserving in some way”.

District Judge Roger Elsey, said: “Blaming other people for your offences makes these offences more serious. Ultimately, they are so serious that only a custodial sentence can be justified.”

Taggart was sentenced to 20 weeks’ imprisonment, suspended for 12 months, and a three-month night-time curfew, He was also ordered to pay £250 to the teenager he attacked.

The judge warned him: “Any breach of the curfew and further offending is reserved to me for sentence. If you see me in the next 12 months, you will be going to prison.”