Pervert jailed for making teen sex tape in Sunderland home

editorial image
Have your say

A PERVERT was forced to confess to making a sex tape when the teenager he secretly videoed accused him of rape.

George Farrell used a hidden mobile phone to covertly capture what happened between him and the 15-year-old, who he had known for only a day, at a house in Sunderland.

Newcastle Crown Court heard Farrell was forced to hand over the footage to detectives when the teenager accused him of rape.

The court heard the recording showed the girl had consented to what went on and led to Farrell, 20, facing no charge for rape – but put behind bars for taking an indecent photograph of a child.

Farrell has a previous conviction for harassment of a former girlfriend, whom he also videoed having sex and sent a copy of the tape to her parents.

He pleaded guilty to making an indecent photograph of a child last November and an unrelated charge of arson being reckless to life endangered after he started a blaze in his room at a hostel in February.

Judge John Evans jailed him for a total of three years.

The judge told him: “You recorded what was meant to have been a private act of intimacy involving you and a 15-year-old girl. Little did she know that the act was being recorded.”

Prosecutor Kevin Wardlaw told the court the tape came to light when the girl made an “allegation of serious sexual offence” against Farrell.

Mr Wardlaw said: “The footage, which he recorded on his mobile phone, shows he has consensual sex with the 15-year-old girl.”

Judge Evans viewed the footage, which lasts for around 11 minutes, before the start of the case.

Andrew Finlay, defending, said: “The existence of the video became known when the allegation was made of rape and the defendant was forced to rely on the video to demonstrate that is not what had happened.

“She said he forced himself on her. He clearly had not.”

Farrell, of no fixed address, had initially claimed to have watched the recording with a friend the day after it was made, which he now denies.

Mr Finlay said Farrell’s life was on a “downward spiral” at the time of the offences after he was made homeless and was struggling to deal with the effects of his traumatic childhood.

The court heard Farrell was drunk when he started the fire in the early hours of the morning at the Centrepoint hostel in Sunderland, where 15 other residents were asleep.

Judge Evans said: “A very large number of people could have been seriously injured, if not killed.”