SUNDERLAND’S coroner will not re-open an inquest into the death of a dad who was fatally stabbed outside his home.
George “Geordie” Dagg suffered the wound in front of his house in Purley Road, in Plains Farm, on June 2, last year.
Despite the best efforts of doctors, the 53-year-old died in Sunderland Royal Hospital just a couple of days later.
Hundreds of people turned out at Immaculate Heart of Mary RC Church, in Springwell Road, for Mr Dagg’s funeral.
At Newcastle Crown Court last month, brothers Jess and Jack Ryan were found guilty of his murder.
The court heard that after Jess Ryan inflicted the fatal blow after an argument between him and Mr Dagg, he and his brother fled the scene and disposed of the knives.
Sentencing the pair, Judge Paul Sloan, QC, said Jess Ryan, 25, must serve a minimum of 25 years before he can apply for parole, while Jack Ryan, 22, must serve at least 21 years behind bars.
After the conclusion of the case, Mr Dagg’s son, Marlon, read a statement on behalf of the family, saying: “Someone we loved, our father, our best friend, our everything.
“They have ripped our whole family apart and taken away someone we love who we can never get back, and that’s something we now have to live with for the rest of our lives.
“Words can’t describe what we think about these men. Our father had his back turned and was walking away when he was stabbed from behind – this is callous and cowardly as our father was defenceless and unarmed.”
At Sunderland Coroner’s Court yesterday, coroner Derek Winter held a short hearing to determine whether or not to re-open the inquest into Mr Dagg’s death, which was initially opened and adjourned on June 30.
The hearing heard that a post-mortem examination found Mr Dagg had died after suffering a haemorrhage due to a stab wound to his right thigh.
Mr Winter said: “Looking at the totality of the circumstances, there has been a full public hearing in respect of the homicide investigation into Mr Dagg’s death in which individuals have been charged and tried.
“There are no public bodies to be held to account and I am satisfied that there is no need to re-open the inquest into the death of Mr Dagg.”