Nikki Allan murder 25 years on: A timeline of events on the crime that shocked Sunderland

As tomorrow marks the 25th anniversary of the day murdered Sunderland schoolgirl Nikki Allan went missing, the Echo looks back on how events unfolded.

October 7, 1992

Sharon Henderson.

Sharon Henderson.

Nikki Allan vanishes on the short walk home from her grandparents’ flat in Wear Garth.

Nikki sets out for home to head down a stairwell and across a short corridor, but when mum Sharon follows down the stairs shortly after, she is nowhere to be seen.

More than 100 Wearsiders join in the search for her.

October 8, 1992

Nikki’s battered body is discovered the next day in a pool of blood in the derelict Quayside Exchange building in High Street East, just yards from the Garths.

Nikki’s body is identifed by her grandfather Dickie Prest.

October 9, 1992

Police tell the media that a housebrick was the likely weapon used to batter Nikki to death. A ‘blood-covered’ man is arrested.

October 11, 1992

The suspect is released without charge.

October 12, 1992

An artist’s impression of a man seen in the area with a girl at the time of Nikki’s disappearance is issued by police.

October 13, 1992

Police issue a composite picture of Nikki in the clothes she was wearing at the time of her disappearance.

October 14, 1992

A reconstruction is staged of Nikki’s last known movements, starting outside The Boar’s Head pub.

October 18, 1992

Neighbour George Heron is charged with murder

October 19, 1992

A large police presence assembles at Sunderland Magistrates Court as Heron appears in the dock for the first time.

Read more: Mum’s DNA appeal ahead of 25th anniversary of murder of Sunderland schoolgirl Nikki Allan

November 21, 1993

A murder case against Heron collapses after a judge at Leeds Crown Court accuses police of heavy-handed tactics and refuses to admit a taped confession.

Heron is found not guilty but a jury at Leeds Crown Court after seven and a half hours and later tells the Echo he feels he will not be able to return to the north east.

The trial had lasted six weeks. Heron had spent 13 months in custody.


Sharon Henderson brings a civil case against Mr Heron, charging him with “battery on the child, resulting in her death.”

A court finds in her favour and orders him Heron to pay over £7,000, but he cannot be traced and the money is never paid.

September 2013

A Crimewatch reconstruction puts the case firmly back in the public eye.

The programme produces a number of new leads - but no arrests.

February 2014

Northumbria Police arrest Sunderland serial killer Steven Grieveson, on suspicion of Nikki’s murder.

He is questioned and bailed and Sharon Henderson writes to him, asking him to cooperate with the inquiry, but detectives later say his bail had been cancelled and he will face no further action.

Read more: ‘I hope the truth does eventually emerge’ - Echo reporter looks back on the Nikki Allan murder case

August 2015

In the run-up to what would have been Nikki’s 30th birthday, Sharon describes the family’s feelings at the lack of progress on the case: “We’re just devastated after all this time, we’ve got nothing.”

September 2016

Sharon Henderson calls for a full reinvestigation of the crime.

She launches an on-line petition urging Northumbria Police to carry out a top-to-bottom review of the case, which attracts more than 500 signatures in less than 24 hours.

October 2016

Sharon again writes to Steven Grieveson, urging him to share anything he may know about Nikki’s death.

“I know he received my last letter but he didn’t answer,” she says.

“But you never know, he might decide to respond this time.”

April 2017

Northumbria Police dedicates a new forensics team to finding Nikki’s killer ahead of the 25th anniversary of her death.

Sharon meets with Northumbria Police chief Constable Steve Ashman and other senior officers at the force’s headquarters to discuss the latest developments in the case.

She says: “They will be on it all the time, not moved about, and will be dedicated to Nikki’s case.

“They are hoping to make it their number one priority - not just the DNA, the whole thing from the beginning.”