Newcastle fan banned for inciting Sunderland supporters

Crime news
Crime news
Have your say

A TOON thug who attempted to start violent clashes with Sunderland supporters has been banned from football matches.

On several occasions, football hooligan Mark Trory was caught on camera trying to fuel a fight with rival supporters.

Newcastle magistrates heard how his string of offences included goading Black Cats fans at the Metro station at Newcastle Central Station on July 17, 2010.

The 34-year-old was part of a gang of yobs that were returning from a pre-season friendly in Cardiff that started to cause trouble when they met a group of Sunderland fans.

On August 6 last year, police were forced to chase Trory several times after he launched a serious of clashes with Sunderland supporters who were making their way through Newcastle Central Station after returning from a match in Scotland.

This week, Newcastle magistrates gave Trory a civil banning order preventing him from attending football matches for three years.

Superintendent Gillian Mitchell said: “Trory has been sighted on several occasions with other Newcastle risk supporters where they have been actively looking to engage in disorder or violence.

“He clearly poses a risk to supporters of rical teams.

“These orders are an effective tool against hooligans and are just one of the methods we use in bringing these people to justice and stopping them from coming to games.”

Courts are handed the power to impose civil banning orders if they are satisfied there are reasonable grounds to believe it would help prevent violence or disorder at or in connection with football matches.

Officers from Northumbria Police’s Football Unit were on hand to give evidence to magistrates about Trory’s behaviour.

Other incidents included on February 5, 2010, Trory, of Walker, Newcastle, was involved in a series of incidents before and after Newcastle took on Cardiff City at home.

On March 13, 2010, at a Newcastle away match at Middlesbrough, Trory attempted to start trouble with rival fans who were segregated by a section of empty seats that had been covered by netting.

Police were forced to boot him out of the stadium after he tried to cross the segregation line to confront Middlesbrough fans.

Twitter: @sunechochief