Man who attacked partner had to be Tasered twice

editorial image
Have your say

A MAN who punched and kicked his partner before dragging her into a car and punching her again has walked free from court.

Alistair King was told by a judge his offences warranted 18 months, but a suspended sentence meant King could be put under closer supervision by the probation service.

Recorder Simon Myserson QC said. “I cannot do what I would like to do, which is lock you up for a few months and then put you under extended supervision.

“By suspending the sentence, you will be closely supervised which with any luck will stop you thumping people you live with.”

Prosecutor Shaun Dryden told Durham Crown Court King and his partner argued over how she would go home before she went to a cashpoint at Carrville, Durham City, to withdraw money for a bus fare.

“Concerned members of the public witnessed the attack there and called the police,” added Mr Dryden. “Officers stopped the car a short time later, but King refused to get out.

“He had to be Tasered twice and dragged through the car window.

“As this happened a package containing what we now know to be 79 diazepam tablets fell to the ground.”

King, 38, of Low Station Road, Leamside, West Rainton, admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm, resisting arrest and possession of a class C drug, all on March 1 this year.

His previous convictions include money laundering and an assault against a previous partner.

Tim Gittins, defending, said in mitigation: “Mr King had a severe headache for a week after the Taser, so there is an element of summary justice there.

“He has been in custody since the offence, which has enabled him to sober up and accept the relationship is over.”

Recorder Myerson sentenced King to 52 weeks in prison, suspended for two years, and a two-year supervision order.

“You have been given a chance you do not wholly deserve,” said the recorder. “But commit any offence in future, not just a similar one, and you will be back inside.”

King was made the subject of an indefinite restraining order banning him from contacting his victim.

The drugs were confiscated and will be destroyed.

Twitter: @Sunderlandecho