Man tried to bite police officer – after avoiding jail over drug-exposed baby daughter’s death

Newcastle Crown Court. Copyright Google Images.
Newcastle Crown Court. Copyright Google Images.
Have your say

A father who walked free after traces of an illegal drug were found in his baby daughter’s body after her mysterious death, has been back in court after trying to bite a police constable.

Michael Johnson, 25, told the officer “You’re not getting hold of me” and kicked him in the stomach when he tried to arrest him, just weeks after being handed a suspended sentence after his daughter’s death.

Tragic tot Kiera Johnson was less than four months old when she died after a night sleeping in her parents’ bed last September.

Tests showed she had amphetamine in her system.

Her parents Cheryl Lauderdale and Michael Johnson admitted cruelty charges on the basis the tot was exposed to the drug in the home in which she was growing up, and possession of amphetamine which was found in the house after the death.

It was accepted by prosecution that the baby was not deliberately fed the drug and it did not cause or contribute towards her untimely death.

It remains unclear why the little girl died.

They were both sentenced to six months imprisonment, suspended for two years, with supervision in December last year. Johnson was given a three month night-time curfew.

Newcastle Crown Court heard on January 6, Johnson was staying at his mother’s after splitting up with his partner, when a police officer arrived at the address and told him he was investigating allegations that he had made threats to kill his ex-partner.

The police officer tried to arrest Johnson when he lashed out.

Bridie Smurthwaite, prosecuting, told the court: “As the officer went to handcuff the defendant, the defendant said ‘You’re not getting hold of me’.

“He kicked him in the stomach and went to strike him again. He tried to bite his hand.”

Glen Gatland, defending, told the court how Johnson split up with his partner when she told him on Boxing Day that she was seeing somebody else.

Johnson, of Arklecrag, Washington, who was never prosecuted for threatening to kill his ex, pleaded guilty to assaulting a police constable and breaching a suspended sentence.

Judge Penny Moreland sentenced Johnson to a community order with 50 hours unpaid work and ordered him to abide by a curfew for three months.