Man threatened to kill ex-girlfriend after going to meet her with gun, six knives and a meat cleaver

editorial image
Have your say

A man threatened to kill his ex-girlfriend during a terrifying confrontation at her home – just 48 hours after being freed on bail for turning up at her door with a gun.

David Robinson went to the woman’s house in the early hours of June 6 armed with knives, a meat cleaver and an air rifle.

During a frightening stand-off, the 44-year-old made threats to her, said he would set himself on fire, burn the house down and attack police who were called to the scene.

Robinson was arrested and remanded in custody but let out bail on August 10 so he could be assessed for an alcohol treatment programme.

By August 12 he was back at the house, where he picked up a knife and threatened to kill his ex, who had to barricade herself in her bedroom.

Newcastle Crown Court heard the victim has been left fearing Robinson will kill her.

Judge Edward Bindloss jailed Robinson, of Bamburgh Close, Washington, for 16 months, telling him: “You were given a chance and you spectacularly failed to take it. She is frightened and she believes that you will kill her.

“She had her home address invaded by you and you were verbally abusive. It is clear to me she has suffered psychological harm.

“The relationship is over, you must accept that.”

The judge made a restraining order banning Robinson from having any further contact with his victim.

The court heard Robinson had been in a relationship with the woman for five years but they split up in April, which he could not accept.

It was during the early hours of June 6 when Robinson turned up at her door with a collection of weapons, being verbally abusive.

When the police were called by the victim, Robinson was aggressive and threatening to the officers, while armed with the terrifying collection of weapons.

The court heard Robinson was remanded in custody after the stand-off and appeared at Newcastle Crown Court for sentence on August 10.

The case was adjourned and Robinson was given bail so he could undergo assessment. On August 12 at around 3pm Robinson turned up at the house , shouting and threatening to kill his ex.

He left but was back at the house just over three hours later, when he stormed inside and picked up a knife.

Robinson was banging on her bedroom door, where the victim had barricaded herself inside, when police arrived. Officers had to use CS gas and a baton to restrain and arrest him.

Jamie Adams, defending, said Robinson has vowed to take anger management and alcohol courses while serving his sentence.

Robinson had pleaded guilty to two charges of affray.