Man jailed after cops catch pair trying to break into Wearside dental practice in the early hours

A heroin addict has been jailed for his part in a botched early hours raid at a Wearside dental practice.

Sunday, 19th January 2020, 4:00 pm
Updated Monday, 20th January 2020, 9:43 am

Peter Thorpe, 30, was sentenced to 18 weeks behind bars after his attempt to steal from GA Conlon, in Front Street, Washington was foiled by police on the beat who heard him trying to break open a door using a crowbar.

While his accomplice stood rooted to the spot and was arrested, Thorpe, of Manor View, Concord, Washington, fled, taking with him two torches and duct tape.

But he did not get far, being found nearby along with the tools of his illegal trade at around 1.30am on Saturday, August 17, South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court was told.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The case was heard at South Tyneside Magistrates' Court.
The case was heard at South Tyneside Magistrates' Court.

Magistrates jailed him for 12 weeks after he admitted a charge of attempted burglary and handed him a further six weeks for failing to appear in court for a hearing on December 6.

Prosecutor Glenda Beck said: “Officers were on foot patrol. They heard noises coming from the rear lane of Bet Fred and a dental practice and saw both defendants.

“Mr Thorpe appeared to be trying to open the door. The implement that Mr Thorpe appeared to be using snapped and broke. As the officers approached, he ran off toward Front Street.

“His co-accused stood where he was. The officers followed Mr Thorpe. As he ran, he dropped the instrument, this was a crowbar with its tip missing.

“They made a search and found the tip of the crowbar, a silver torch, duct tape and a smaller torch. Damage was found to the rear of the dental practice.

“Staff confirmed that on the Friday evening they had left work at about 7.30pm and there was no damage.”

Harry Burn, defending, said of Thorpe: “He has a heroin addiction. He didn’t turn up at court.”

Thorpe, who pleaded guilty to the attempted burglary at a court hearing on October 22, was also ordered to pay £200 compensation, a £122 victim surcharge and £85 court costs.

The court heard his accomplice had already been jailed for six weeks and ordered to pay £100 compensation after being convicted at trial for his part in the attempted break-in.