Man jailed after attacking three police officers in Sunderland hospital

Daniel Sayers, 29, of Noble Street, Hendon
Daniel Sayers, 29, of Noble Street, Hendon
Have your say

A MAN who woke up from a drink and drugs stupor to find himself being poked and prodded on a hospital ward, has been jailed for assaulting three police officers.

Daniel Sayers came to when nurses in Sunderland Royal Hospital’s A&E department started taking blood from him and he lashed out at those at his bedside, Sunderland magistrates heard.

Sayers, 29, had been arrested earlier that day, September 10, when he was found wandering around in a street in Hendon, prosecutor Glenda Beck said.

A bag of amphetamine was found in his shorts pocket when he was searched by officers at Gill Bridge Police Station.

Sayers, of Noble Street, Hendon, was then taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital after he became “unresponsive”.

There, he awoke to find he was 
being examined by medics and soon 
became aggressive, lashing out at Pcs Wendy Gribbin, Nicola Adams and Adele Hutchinson.

Sayers kicked Pc Gribbin in the chest and knocked her backwards as he shouted abuse, before punching Pc Hutchinson to the side of her chest.

When Pc Adams went to her colleagues’ aid and grabbed Sayers’s leg, he lunged towards her with his mouth open, biting her thumb.

Sayers admitted three counts of assaulting a police officer, being drunk and disorderly in a public place and possession of amphetamine.

In a statement read out in court, Pc Gribbin said: “I was worried for the safety of the staff in the hospital, as I was aware there were many sharp implements that could be used.”

In mitigation, Heather Bolton said: “Hospital staff conducted tests while Mr Sayers was asleep.

“He was woken, it appears, when blood was taken from Mr Sayers.

“He woke up and there were a number of police officers and hospital staff surrounding him.

“There were machines everywhere and he had no idea where he was.

“He tried to get up and he has lashed out because he didn’t know where he was or what was happening.”

Sayers was sentenced to 16 weeks’ 
imprisonment, but is unlikely to be out 
before February, having been recalled to prison after being released on licence for burglary.

He was also ordered to pay £50 in compensation to each of the police officers he assaulted.