Man brutally beat friend with hosepipe nozzle in row over phone

editorial image
Have your say

A MAN suffered a head injury after his friend beat him up with the nozzle from a hosepipe in an argument over a mobile phone.

Craig Perry needed nine staples for gashes to his head after David Stewart set on him with the plastic end of the hose.

Mr Perry was in the garden of his home in Amersham Crescent, Peterlee, on the summer’s evening of the attack waiting for his daughter when a car pulled up and Stewart, 35, got out, Durham Crown Court heard.

Prosecutor Jonathan Walker said the friends were watering the plants together and chatting away, when “out of the blue”, Stewart punched Mr Perry and accused him of stealing a mobile phone.

“He suddenly started punching him and struck him several times to the arms and head, his head area seemed to be targeted and he used a plastic implement which it emerged later was the nozzle of the hose.

“It caused head injuries on the forehead and hairline which needed nine staples at Sunderland Royal Hospital. There was blood loss.”

Mr Walker said Stewart ran from the scene, but his victim ran after him questioning why he had done it.

The court heard blood from Mr Perry’s head dripped onto Stewart’s car, but when police later questioned him, they found Stewart had tried to clean it.

Stewart had claimed to police he hadn’t left home all day.

Mr Walker said Stewart has limited previous convictions, but was given unpaid work and made to pay compensation for a domestic violence incident eight years ago.

Stewart, of Helford Road, Peterlee, admitted unlawful wounding on July 19 last year.

Mark Styles, mitigating, said Stewart has “background difficulties” described as a “delusional disorder” in his probation report and there was also “psychiatric input”.

Mr Styles said greater good would be done in the community, rather than if Stewart got a custodial sentence.

Judge Robert Adams said this was “an attack on someone who considered you a friend and an unprovoked attack using a rather unusual weapon”.

Stewart was sentenced to 15 months in prison suspended for 18 months, with supervision, a five-year restraining order and £100 victim surcharge.