Man admits attempting to dispose of Durham oil executive’s body

Police handout photo of Carole Waugh.
Police handout photo of Carole Waugh.
Have your say

ONE of the men accused of killing wealthy oil executive Carole Waugh has admitted attempting to dispose of her body.

Rakesh Bhayani, 41, and Nicholas Kutner, 48, deny murdering Miss Waugh, 50, who disappeared from her London home in Marylebone last year.

Miss Waugh, originally from Durham, was reported missing by her family on May 7 and had not been seen since mid-April.

Her body was found stabbed inside a car in a lock-up garage in Lime Court, New Malden, on August 2.

Bhayani pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey to perverting the course of justice by concealing the death of Carole Waugh, attempting to dispose of her body and removing potential evidence related to her death.

He and Kutner also admitted conspiring to defraud Miss Waugh after withdrawing cash from her bank accounts and taking out loans and using credit cards in her name.

Kutner, who denies perverting the course of justice, admitted a further three charges of fraud after pretending to be Miss Waugh’s brother Christopher to charge rent for her flat.

The pair are due to stand trial for murder in October.

Five others pleaded not guilty to charges including possession of criminal property and conspiracy to defraud.

Bhayani, of Chamberlayne Avenue, Wembley, north west London, and Kutner, of no fixed address, admitted targeting Miss Waugh’s Barclays’ account and attempting to authorise transactions with Visa and American Express credit cards in her name.

Elaine Perkins, 51, and Deborah Burke, 49, pleaded not guilty to conspiracy to defraud by impersonating Miss Waugh.

Derek Eastham, 56, and Elie Khoury, 40, also denied conspiracy to defraud, while Eastham admitted possessing counterfeit money.

Bhayani’s wife, Sheetal, pleaded not guilty to possessing £5,800 knowing it to have been obtained through crime.

Susan O’Shea, 61, pleaded not guilty to fraud at a previous hearing.

Bhayani and Kutner were remanded in custody by Mr Justice Sweeney but the other defendants were granted continued bail.