Jail warning over attack on sisters

Have your say

A WOMAN who attacked two sisters in the street while racially abusing them has been warned she could face jail.

Krystal Boyes pounced on her victims after an argument spilled over into violence.

The drunken 26-year-old brawled with one sister, then the other and threatened to kill one of them, during the shameful incidents.

House keys belonging to one of her victim’s were left tangled in Boyes’ hair, and were still stuck there when police came to arrest her.

At Sunderland Magistrates’ Court yesterday Boyes pleaded guilty to two charges of racially-aggravated assault.

She had been due to stand trial that morning, after previously denying both offences, which took place last October.

Prosecutor Viv Harper said trouble began after damage was done to the front door of Joseph Smith, the victims’ brother.

He asked sister Elizabeth Ritchie to come round and help repair the door of his house in Southwick.

But as she walked up his street, she was set upon by Boyes.

Mrs Harper said: “She went right up to her face and swung at her with her hand.

“It felt like she had received a heavy slap to the right side of the head.

“She began to pull her hair and pull her around by her hair.”

The woman managed to pull Boyes to the ground and escape.

She rang police and her sister, Angela Smith, who arrived shortly after and began searching the street for a necklace her sister had lost in the attack.

Boyes began shouting racist abuse at her through the window of her home, before coming out and launching a second assault.

Drunken Boyes broke the woman’s glasses, punched her in the face and pulled her top over her head, leaving her with just a bra on.

Both sisters were left with minor injuries.

When police arrived at her home in Edward Burdis Street, Southwick, Boyes claimed she had been attacked.

Defending, Brian Chapman said he would expect magistrates to adjourn for pre-sentence reports to be prepared, looking at all options, including a prison sentence.

Magistrates adjourned the case for three weeks.