‘I will never return to Washington’ – man who lost four teeth in drunken attack

editorial image
Have your say

A MAN who lost four teeth in an unprovoked attack by a drunken teenager has vowed never to return to Washington, the scene of the crime.

Paul Redhead was set upon by Adam English, 18, in the early hours of Sunday, October 6, in Concord, Sunderland magistrates heard.

Mr Redhead had been out socialising with friends when a group of people, including English, approached them outside the Jet garage in Blue House Lane.

“Without warning, the defendant carried out a completely unprovoked attack on him,” prosecutor Paul Anderson told the magistrates. English, a warehouse worker, of Coach Road Estate, Usworth, punched Mr Redhead to the face, knocking out four of his teeth, the court heard.

“He was bleeding into the eye, causing him to temporarily lose his vision,” Mr Anderson said.

“It was initially thought he had fractured his cheekbone, but this was found not to be the case.

“There was a witness who had come across the incident because he had gone out to pick up friends at 1am.

“He saw Mr English involved in the incident. He knew who he was.

“He saw the defendant assaulting Mr Redhead. It seemed a one-sided attack because he wasn’t defending himself.”

In a statement read out in court, Mr Redhead said he is fearful of going out as a result of the attack, saying his facial injuries cause people to stare at him.

He says his two small children are also too upset to look at him.

“I don’t usually go out, this is a one-off,” he continued.

“I’m not going back to Washington in case something like this happens again. I didn’t even have a chance to defend myself. It all happened so fast.”

English was arrested on October 23 and later pleaded guilty to assault causing actual bodily harm.

Sandra Fife, mitigating, said: “Adam’s recollection isn’t fantastic as a result of himself having been drinking.

“Earlier in the evening, somewhat ironically, he himself had been assaulted. He was jumped on by a few lads in Concord.”

Sentencing was adjourned for reports, and the bench warned English that the case might be committed to Newcastle Crown Court to be dealt with there.