He came out of prison with a drugs problem, now this Sunderland man is back behind bars

editorial image
Have your say

A MAN has been jailed after he was caught with three different drugs.

David Burridge was stopped by police in Sunderland on March 31, after reports of a man acting suspiciously.

He admitted three charges of possession when he appeared before city magistrates.

Prosecutor Lee Poppett said: “Around 4am, police received information of a suspicious male within a public house off Derwent Street.

“Officers attended, Burridge was located and searched, and a quantity of controlled drugs were seized.

“He was taken to the police station and a further search recovered a bag of white powder.”

Officers discovered a small amount of cocaine, cannabis resin and Valium tablets. The 35-year-old told police they were for his own use.

Burridge, of no fixed address, also admitted absconding, after the court heard he failed to answer police bail on April 29.

Susan Grey, defending, said Burridge had come out of prison with a drug problem.

She said: “He has been taking Subutex and could not get it, and had been self-medicating with small amounts of class A, B and C drugs.”

She said the qualified asbestos stripper was not dealing in drugs or carrying them for someone else.

For possession of cocaine, magistrates ordered he serve 16 weeks in prison, with eight weeks for the cannabis and 14 days for the absconding offence, all to run concurrently.

A savage knife attack on a man in South Shields, saw Burridge jailed last year.

He left James Van Der Vord bleeding from a gaping flesh wound after the daytime assault in Prince Edward Road.

The 41-year-old victim was taken to South Tyneside Hospital after the attack, but had to be transferred to Sunderland Royal Hospital for emergency treatment, Newcastle Crown Court heard.

No explanation was given for the attack in November 2011.

Burridge, then of Bright Road, Roker, admitted unlawful wounding and having an offensive weapon at the crown court in March.

Judge John Milford jailed him for 32 months, but he had been released on licence at the time of the drugs offences.